Alternator installation...

-

firefighter1

Reaction score
Hi guys.... Dumb question here. I am installing my alternator on a 318 engine and the back spacing seems to be too long for the metal tube I have for that section. Is there another spacer that I need in place of this piece or am I configuring the bracket incorrectly? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 929
I think the alternator should go behind the front bracket....so it´s closer to the cylinder head. Try it it lines up then with the crank and water pump pulley.

Michael

Ill try that again. I did that at first, but i seem to remember it not lining up with the crank pulley. Ill try it again though just to be certain. Thanks.

Behind the bracket on my 273 (have same alum w.p.). There are various water pump and crank pulleys that vary with year and whether AC or pwr steering, so who knows what all combinations are out there. The alternator is the easiest to align.

That collar against the head looks like something somebody hillbillied out of an alternator collar. You can get spacers of various lengths at Ace Hardware and even chrome if you want to look purty and can afford it.

It doesn't go behind the bracket. What are you guys thinking. You have the wrong rear spacer. Also without A/c you need a single pulley Alt. and a different crank pulley . Here are some pics of a 71 this covers 71 and newer. I have these loaded if you need more I have more pics and cars here and motors out I also have AC cars. I also have all the correct parts for either. Manual steering , power steering, AC, all pulley's and brackets.

Attachments

• b31[1].jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 463
  • DSCF0006[1].jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 431
  • DSCF0136.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 456
  • 44427[1].jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 429
So if I need a new spacer, does anyone know where I can find one? Or should I just go to the local home Depot and cut down some pipe? Thanks.

So if I need a new spacer, does anyone know where I can find one? Or should I just go to the local home Depot and cut down some pipe? Thanks.

Take the bolt with you and get a black pipe nipple that is long enough to do away with the threads. Use the bolt to get the correct inside diameter.

Copper pipe huh? Okay I'll look into it. Ill bring the bolt into the local Home Depot then. Thanks guys.

home depo has round tubing you can buy in a 3 foot chunk.... i had to go and buy it for mine and cut it down to make my spacers....thought i got a good deal on my chrome alternator brackets..but they came with no hardware or spacers.... and i was building from scratch so i had to improvise..but it seems to have held up

and i wouldnt worrie about the pulleys too much if you cant spring for new ones before i got my serp kit i ran ac pulleys on all my accessories and crank and just measured for a belt since i was not running ac and ran it on the inside grove so its wasnt to much load on the shafts running on the outside

You used metal tubing right? Like a small pipe? Do you have part numbers for the belts without AC even while I use the AC pulley system? Thanks.

OldMan has me eating crow (doesn't taste too bad).

I just went out and looked at my 65 Dart. The alternator is in front of the bracket, just like OldMan shows (so much for my memory). I have 2 spacers to the head, a short and a long one. I remember buying them at Ace Hardware. They are shiny, but not their chrome ones (I'm too cheap).

metal tubing, cut it to fit so everything lines up and you're done.
its hard to see but I've even got a little shorty spacer between the front mounting lug on the alt. and the bracket so that it was aligned just right.

Attachments

• autofest 010_1.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 332
Wouldn't bother me. Might lose a few points at a car show, but would look better than what your prior owner rigged. As far as working, as long as the alternator pulley doesn't move more than 1/8", it should be fine. V-belts are very forgiving.

-
Back