alternator mods

-

Tiki bar jim

Reaction score
Hi fellow A body fans, I'm rounding up bits & pieces to install aftermarket AC in my 64 Valiant; I was going to use a March serpentine belt kit to install; I want to change an alternator from v-belt pulley to serpentine belt pulley.
Is there anyone producing a serpentine pulley to retro-fit the old style pulley? My alternator shop said it would have to be custom made since they are a pressed on fit. If not what alternator could use instead?

Thanks for any insight.

You can use a Denso alternator similar to this More Information for PURE ENERGY 15686
It uses the same mopar electronic voltage regular. The one I listed is for a 1991 D-150 with a 5.2 engine. This one has two V-belt pulley, but any Denso alternator that looks like this has interchangeable pulleys. Just remove the center nut, slide the pulley off, install new pulley, tighten nut. There are different diameter, type of belts, number of ribs, etc. I use this type of alternator on all my Mopars.

Depending on the engine setup, you might have to make some minor mods to the mounting. Make sure you have the pulleys perfectly aligned with the serp belt, or you will have belt "chirp" issues. V-bets alignment is not as critical. All of my conversions are from serp to single or double V-belt

Not sure if you knew or not. If you're upping the Amps you might want to update the engine charge circuit wiring.

-
Back