Alternator Overcharging

-

62toad

Reaction score
When checking the wiring on my under dash gauge lights I found the voltage with the car not running was a little over 11 volts, which seemed to match the volt gauge. I checked the battery and it read 12.4, with the engine running the gauge read around 13.5 but the voltage at the battery wad 15.2.
I check the ground at the voltage regulator and it was good, I also ran a ground from the battery to the voltage regulator case, and there was no change in the
a new voltage regulator and still no change.
The gauge mismatch is less of a concern that the over charging, any suggestions of what to check next.
Thanks
Mike
reading. I installed

gauge eng off.jpg

gauge eng running.jpg

battery eng off.jpg
battery running.jpg

Volt Reg.jpg

Alternator.jpg

This is almost always caused by voltage drop in the harness, mostly terminals and connectors, as well as switches. It can also be in the VR ground path to the battery.

RARE cases is a bad VR and sometimes a bad/ sulfated battery.

Part of this is vulnerable because Mopar regulators do not have a dedicated voltage sense terminal. The sensing is on the same terminal as the power terminal.

How it works

Power from BATTERY---to STARTER RELAY STUD--to FUSE LINK--through BULKHEAD CONNECTOR (big red)--through AMMETER--out on BIG BLACK--to WELDED SPLICE--to IGNITION SWITCH connector and switch--out switch on DARK BLUE IGN1 "run" back through BULKHEAD CONNECTOR and to splice / terminals in engine bay, feeding alternator field, VR IGN terminal, ignition system, electric choke if used, and on some late cars, some smog doo dads

ANY VOLTAGE DROP in the ENTIRE CIRCUIT from battery to VR, INCLUDING THE ground circuit, will cause the VR to "sense low" and ramp up the alternator o compensate. If you check, while running, at the ballast resistor terminal coming from the key, you will likely find 14V while running, while the battery is seeing the high reading of 15 or so.

TO CHECK HARNESS

Turn key to "run", with engine stopped. Stab one probe of your meter into the top of the battery POS post. Connect remaining probe to as close to VR IGN terminal as you can get. The ballast key side terminal. You will read some voltage, the lower the better. If you read over .3V or so, look for a reason.

TO CHECK GROUND

Run engine at high idle to simulate low to medium cruise RPM. Make test will all acessories, lights, heater, etc off at first, then again with them powered

Stab one meter probe into the top of the NEG battery post. Stab the remaining probe hard into the VR mounting flange. Again, the less voltage, the better, zero is perfect

WORKAROUND FIX

One way to solve the problem without a bunch of re-wiring, and the ignition switch may be part of the problem, is to add a relay to operate underhood ignition loads. Break the IGN1 "run" wire coming out of the bulkhead connector into the engine bay. Use the bulkhead end of the wire to trigger a Bosch style relay, and feed the relay contacts power from the starter relay stud, and through a fuse/ breaker. Keep the fuse away from engine heat. Connect the engine bay harness end of the cut "run" wire to the switched contact. THIS SHOULD now get the VR "ign" terminal much closer to actual battery voltage.

Last edited:
67Dar273- Thanks for the information The voltage for the Harness Test was 1.3V and the Ground check was less than 0.1V. So the problem seems to be the harness.
I would like to try testing before commuting to a relay. My thought is to cut IGN1 coming out of the bulkhead and just temporarily jumping a wire for the starter relay to the engine bay side of the ING1 wire. If that work's then I will feel confident installing the relay.
Based on your description of the relay, this is how I think it should be wired.
Does this make sense?
Thanks
Mike

Relay for Volt regulator.jpg

-
Back