Alternator pulley ????

-

Wilson

Reaction score
Searched but could not find info....Can single and dual pulleys be swapped on the same alternator, or put another way, do all mopar alternators have the same length shaft, or are they pulley-specific?

Oops, my bad. The pulleys can swap the shaft is the same on alternator. When pressing either a single or dual pulley, verify the pulley aligns correctly.

Yes you can interchange them. But you have to do it properly. It requires a special puller to remove the pullies, then you have to remove the armature from the alternator, and use a press to install the pulley. I assume your are asking about a Chrysler alternator?

Thanks for the responses. I have a good 2 pulley alternator but just don't like the look of the unused
belt groove and wasn't sure if they could be swapped.

Thanks for the responses. I have a good 2 pulley alternator but just don't like the look of the unused
belt groove and wasn't sure if they could be swapped.

I have the same issue, but I can not find where to buy a pulley for single belt.

Bill

I deal with performance front drive companies daily. Even my best ones admit they wreck about 1/3 of Chrysler pulleys or shafts if they try and swap them. For as cheap as a new alt is...just buy one with the correct pulley. Rock auto, or one of many aftermarket sources.

The 50 year local alternator and starter rebuild shop says no. He told me they won’t do Chrysler alternators for the reasons mentioned above.

Really? It's not that difficult to swap them. Some of the aftermarket ones have more interference than neccessary, but even then using a puller would not harm the shaft.
Can it be done as quickly as others? - no.

Alternator repair, a little show and tell.

Really? It's not that difficult to swap them. Some of the aftermarket ones have more interference than neccessary, but even then using a puller would not harm the shaft.
Can it be done as quickly as others? - no.

Alternator repair, a little show and tell.
Hi Matt, do you know of a good source for pulleys that does not cost as much as a reman alternator?

Bill

Hi Matt, do you know of a good source for pulleys that does not cost as much as a reman alternator?

Bill
I don't know how much cheaper you can get than $24.lol

1965 DODGE DART 3.7L 225cid L6 Alternator / Generator | RockAuto

upload_2019-11-22_7-49-13.png

I think we all have different definitions of good and cost.

-
Back