ALternator question 1970 Swinger 340

-

tbrannigan

Reaction score
Gang, I'm a new member in CT and recently bought a 1970 Swinger 340. The car is great however the Alternator does not appear to be charging. The engine compartment is close to 100% and now I appear to need to have the alternator rebuilt. Any recomendations where to turn? I need to get it serviced by someone who will be careful with it. I'd love any ideas

Thanks Terry 203.644.8403

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 142
What makes you thing it's not charging?

Can you/ have you made a couple of simple tests?

Does the ammeter appear to operate?

Fabo

Thanks for the reply. I struggle with postings so i hope this reaches you! I did run some simple tests, I put a meeter on the battery and fully charged it reads as it should 12.5. Then started the car put on an electrical load (lights and radio) and sure enough it goes to about 11 volts. I aso bought a cheap voltage regulator from auto zone and got the same reading when I repeaded the test. The meeter in the car is not working but neither are the dash lights or Wipers! That's next. Any thoughts?

Brushes are one possibility, but please don't start by "throwing parts" at the car, which is about the same as throwing money in the garbage.

First, "new regulator" (part) does not mean a "good" part.

Notice you have a blue and a brown wire hooked to two separate "pull off" terminals on your alternator.

With engine off, turn on the key, and verify that you have "battery" voltage on the BLUE wire to ground.

If so, pull the GREEN wire off the alternator terminal, and stick the meter on the exposed alternator terminal. Verify that you again have "battery."

Now take a clip lead and hook the exposed terminal to ground, start the car, and see if it charges by carefully increasing RPM on the engine.

If so, you have a wiring/ regulator problem.'

If not, you have an alternator problem. It might be brushes. It might be something more serious, but it IS in the alternator according to the previous tests.

Forgot to add, if it does not charge, before you condemn alternator, make sure output stud is actually hooked to battery. While doing the charge test, if ammeter does not show charge, put your ammeter first on battery, ref engine easily, and check for increased voltage. IF NOT move meter to output stud of alternator and check for increased voltage at the stud.

THEN.. if no charge you have an internal alternastor problem.

That is great help Now I know what I'm going to be doing when I get home! (which will help me make it through the rest of the work day!) I wondered how to isolate the cause. Terry

-
Back