Alternator rebuild, or reman

-

cdnEHbody

Reaction score
71 val, 225. Probably safe to say 30a alt, it has bad a/c ripple. I can pick up a reman 60a for about 80cdn, it has a 2 belt pulley though, will the inside grove line up? Or...
Rebuild the stocker...but shipping it away will probably be murder...and where

If i go 60, i will do the bulkhead fleet bypass. Otherwise stock wiring has been cleaned and greased by me, new vr with a relayed 12v to it. And good clean grounds etc.

First is it the older "roundback" with individual diodes, or the newer "squareback" with the diode bridge assembly? The newer one is decidedly better. Also there are models IN BETWEEN the low amp and the 60-65 which are sometimes "better" for low RPM output

Rebuilts are a crap shoot plain and simple.

First is it the older "roundback" with individual diodes, or the newer "squareback" with the diode bridge assembly? The newer one is decidedly better. Also there are models IN BETWEEN the low amp and the 60-65 which are sometimes "better" for low RPM output

Rebuilts are a crap shoot plain and simple.

Its a square back, so what to do if i dont buy a re-man? And where to buy, if i have to buy quality from usa i will

Those square backs are incredibly easy to rebuild......
Unless it need a front bearing,then you have to pull the pulley off and that takes a special puller.
Otherwise dig in, those are like easy-peasy, I haven't bought a Mopar alternator since 1974ish.

Those square backs are incredibly easy to rebuild......
Unless it need a front bearing,then you have to pull the pulley off and that takes a special puller.
Otherwise dig in, those are like easy-peasy, I haven't bought a Mopar alternator since 1974ish.
Where do i get parts?!

Local jobber; Napa, Piston Ring, Canadian Tire, Dealer?
Every big city has jobbers supplying parts to local Repair Garages, I bet even Regina,lol
Uggh, napa, ill have to try auto electric and den paul maybe

Can tire is for oil on sale only,,, even worse than napa

I have seen rebuild kits on e bay reasonable also, diodes are a definite!

Those square backs are incredibly easy to rebuild...
Ditto. I got real good at rebuilding the square-back in my 1982 Aries. The positive diodes (sit in the air) vaporized every year. Since removing the alt required removing the AC compressor, I learned to just split apart the case and replace the diodes (bolt in), working under the compressor. Output w/ strong ripple is a sign of a few failed diodes (6 total). I think mine failed because that was a transverse engine which didn't get good cooling, and cutting slots in the diode bracket for more cooling seemed to get me 2 yrs life. It looked the same as the 1970's Dart square-back.

I went through 2 remanufactured alternators from oreillys before they just gave me a brand new premium one instead for the same price. The second one they gave me I wouldn't even leave the store with, could turn the pulley at all!

I got a good deal on a 60a delco rebuild. I tested the field for proper isolation and resistance before i installed. All is well now.

-
Back