Alternator recommendations? (and other very noob question)

-
BUMP. Ended up buying this. But before I even buy the toys for it or install this, I need to address the starter and timing issue;

More often it clicks but dont crank, I replaced the relay and most of the time I have to wiggle the wires from the starter, to the relay, to the battery for it to start. What do we call those wires so I can buy the replacement?

Which brings me to my next question, I believe the timing is off. Intellitronix gauge tells me that its idling at 500 RPMs when warm, but the way it starts almost immediately when it does crank is kind of a concern. So I tried to use a timing light. At first I tried to line it up to the "0" on the belt but the engine does not seem to be happy. An older gentleman at the base garage told me to start it as he twists the alternator and said to tighten it as soon as it starts. As I said above it idles at 500 RPMs but the timing lights tells me the timing is WAAAAY above 10 because I cant see it on the balance belt thing. Would running it like this mess it up how should I dial the timing when I cant see the indicator with the timing light?

Thank you all in advanced!

BUMP. Ended up buying this. But before I even buy the toys for it or install this, I need to address the starter and timing issue;

More often it clicks but dont crank, I replaced the relay and most of the time I have to wiggle the wires from the starter, to the relay, to the battery for it to start. What do we call those wires so I can buy the replacement?

Which brings me to my next question, I believe the timing is off. Intellitronix gauge tells me that its idling at 500 RPMs when warm, but the way it starts almost immediately when it does crank is kind of a concern. So I tried to use a timing light. At first I tried to line it up to the "0" on the belt but the engine does not seem to be happy. An older gentleman at the base garage told me to start it as he twists the alternator and said to tighten it as soon as it starts. As I said above it idles at 500 RPMs but the timing lights tells me the timing is WAAAAY above 10 because I cant see it on the balance belt thing. Would running it like this mess it up how should I dial the timing when I cant see the indicator with the timing light?

Thank you all in advanced!
Ok, first, you have a corroded connection or a bad ground. Wiggling wires and having a start/no start condition is a dead give away. Before you go further, check each connection. Make sure the starter solenoid is grounded , check each terminal on the starter motor wiring harness. You may find you don't need new wiring after all.

Timing is a whole other issue. By reading your post, I think you need to read up on how its actually done. Plenty of videos on you tube.

Here's a video by one of our members.

Cheers!!

get the proper pulleys and brackets on the car first. that has a/c pulleys and brackets on it and shouldn't.
I have not even opened the alternator box just yet so I am unsure if it came with brackets. I forgot to ask you, so I do have a/c on this car but no condenser (want to do this at some point), unless you mean "a/c" being another thing? Sorry for my ignorance on this.

I'm sure the alt. did not come with brackets.

what I'm saying is that motor has air conditioning pulleys on it. its why the belt is riding on the front pulley of the alt. the belts are also routed wrong.

if the new alt only has a single pulley as pictured then the belt will not line up.

you need the proper water pump and crank pulleys along with the proper alt. bracket.

I'm sure the alt. did not come with brackets.

what I'm saying is that motor has air conditioning pulleys on it. its why the belt is riding on the front pulley of the alt. the belts are also routed wrong.

if the new alt only has a single pulley as pictured then the belt will not line up.

you need the proper water pump and crank pulleys along with the proper alt. bracket.
Ok thank you, I think I understand what you mean. So would it be prudent to buy everything you say AND get the air conditioning operational? I ask because again I do have air conditioning system, but not the condenser.

depends what you want.

if you are going to put the a/c back on then atleast hang the compressor and get the pulleys and belt routing correct.

if you don't plan on putting the a/c back on then get the proper non-a/c pulleys and brackets.

if you are going to put the a/c back on then atleast hang the compressor and get the pulleys and belt routing correct.
Thank you! This is the plan. Ok I will hit up summit again for the belts and brackets. Good I dont have to get the a/c situated right now, I also wouldnt want to buy different pulleys.

no money.jpg

^^^^^^ what he says ^^^^^^

-
Back