alternator tests good,but no charge

-

cooltx

Reaction score
I replaced the /6 in my '72 Duster with a 360 and now I can't get any charge from the alternator.I even tried a second alternator and nothing, So I took both to an electrical shop and they both tested good. I know I am hooking it up right but it doesn't show a charge at the gauge or at the battery with a meter. Is there something in the harness that would keep it from charging?

I didn't see a voltage regulator in my harness. Do you know what color the wires are that go to it.

blue and green wires. The regulator is on the firewall near the master cylinder

ok , all I did was cut the plug off the old harness to wire into the new plug for the MP regulator

You're probably not getting voltage to your field winding or your regulator is not in the circuit. Check your wiring against a schematic. You may want to check voltage at the field windings to verify.

I believe with your car you're running a newer style alternator and the regulator controls the negative side of the field windings.

What is the output voltage of the alternator with the engine running at a fast idle?

What is the voltage measured at the positive battery terminal?

If you are getting over 13 volts at the alternator, and not at the battery, there is excessive resistance or an open circuit somewhere. I would next check the voltage at your ammeter, both posts.

The most likely failure place is the ammeter, or the bulkhead connector.

thanks c130 chief, the problem was in the bulkhead. Special thanks to "Redfish"....

-
Back