Aluminum Bumper Brackets

-

71-440-Duster

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm looking to go with light weight fiberglass bumpers on my 71 Duster and wanted to know if any of you have any ideas about aluminum bumper brackets to save additional weight!

Thx!

Rob

doesn't sound like a good idea to me...unless you are making it a strip only car...then get fiberglass bumpers. Fiberglass front end?

Safety first. How much time can you gain for the change.
Sorry not trying to diss your idea...got to be other areas you can trim weight...

Aloha!

Thanks for the link...

I was looking some info on how to replace the heavy steal bumper brackets, too...

I'd just get some 1" wide aluminum and bend them how you need them. Shouldn't be that hard. Just have to remember not to push the car with the bumpers again.

Thats what I did. 1/4-20 nuts and bolts and fender washers. No problems in 4 years.

yep..

5604.46.081308.jpg

I bought front and rear fiberglass bumpers from AAR they are good quality. The only issue that I ran into is that it took them a week longer to get here than they told me it would. But as long as you aren't committed to a certain date that you need them you will be fine. I was told that Aluminum is not good for brackets on a strip car. To much vibration and it will crack. I was told that you are better off to cut weight on the stock brackets by Swiss cheesing them. Actually drilling holes in the brackets to lighten them.

-
Back