aluminum case 833 trans

-

MoparDemon

Reaction score
Hi guys, so me and a couple friends went on a road trip to a nearby island off Vancouver to pick up a 68 charger factory a/c 383 car..and i was able to score an 833 4 speed with an aluminum housing..it has the b and e body tail shaft on it.
So my questions to you are is there any way i can put my tail shaft off my other 4 speed for my demon on this one?? and is the aluminum housing a rare thing? i havent seen any before it weighs way less that my other one!

Are you sure it's a regular 4-speed and not an overdrive? Most of the overdrives were aluminum case. And most had problems with the case wearing out at the countershaft. If you have an OD, sell it and get one from an F-body, as they were the short tail. If it is a real 4-speed, you can convert it to the short tail, but you need to use the output shaft as well as the tail housing. Basicly, a complete trans rebuild using the aluminum case and lots of pieces from your other 4-speed.

As far as i know it is a 4 speed, how do you tell if it is an overdrive?
The 4 speed that came with my car apparently humms alot on the road said the last person to drive it so im assuming it needs bearings so after what you said it may just be easier to just rebuild it and save the aluminum one for a B or E body as i do plan to buy one when the Demons done. Thx for your reply by the way. Brad.

-
Back