Aluminum slant block

-
The article I participated in with Steve Magnate in Mopar Muscle and Hot Rod had a head gasket failure as the engine approached 200 HP. That's probably not too shabby, but if that's to be an expected issue at that HP range, how long can it live at say, 180 HP, if it's that close to a failure point...? It probably could have also failed in the 180 HP range if it had been given enough time.
What head gasket was it using? I'd just "guess" mine is around 200HP give or take right now and frankly, I couldn't be happier with how the car performs.

This is what Robert Maw did to his block.

Rob Maw Block Mod 1 s.JPG

Rob Maw Block Mod 2.jpg

He has video and pictures up now where he's gotten the deck pressed in and sealed with aircraft sealant. He left it in a press with 400 PSI on it for a time until it cured. After which, he pressure tested it and so far, it's held to 30 PSI. I believe his next step is to deck the block and then bore it with a custom torque plate he made. He's a very interesting guy, but he doesn't answer many questions about his work. I believe he's onto something.

That is what I suggested to the .org guys about 10 years ago. Obviously that guy lurks on some of the Slant forums .....
Also, on this block and the Chevy LS and others of this design, a torque plate will have no affect on them.

Last edited:
What head gasket was it using? I'd just "guess" mine is around 200HP give or take right now and frankly, I couldn't be happier with how the car performs.
I looked back at the article and it says they used Olson gaskets. They are the copper skin style....

Yeah, they mentioned the Fel-Pro being discontinued in the article and that they got the last 2 Olson gaskets that were available.....

He poured aluminum into the water jacket to make the deck solid in the "Twiggy build thread". He also did a similar, single piece around the tops of each cylinder in another build but it wasn't very effective. Thats when the discussion later on started by me mentioning doing the "Honda" cylinder girdle that captures all 6 cylinders at the same time. I think by far him pouring the deck solid with aluminum would have had the best chance for success but it failed as well...

I think his consensus after all these attempts to make the aluminum block better was that they are better suited for a restoration build and performance builds are better with the cast iron blocks.....

Last edited:
-
Back