ALUMINUM WELD Questions !!!!!!

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Guys........

I wanna use my Lincoln SP135-T Mig to weld some aluminum framing...I'm modifying an enclosed trailer.......

I've never welded aluminum before........

Can you guys give me some tips on what to watch for, what not to do, whatever.........? The framing will probably be 1/8" to 3/16" average.....

How about some pro-pointers...........8)

I have been told by several real good welders that you need a spool gun to realy weld alum with a mig. they say the alum wire is so soft that it will not feed to the gun properly. I want to do the same thing I have a Holbart 180 that weld steel like a Champ. i use 75/25 mix so i can't try alum with that gas. and spool guns are not cheap. Sorry not much help here.

I'm not a true pro in alum welding but I've welded steel, stainless and some alum for about 15 years (off & on). Alum has to be spotless clean...absolutly no dirt allowed. get a new grinder wheel or wire brush wheel and only use it for alum. clean it untill it looks good and clean and then clean it 1 more time. Any contaimination will give poor quality weld (contamination) and add dificulty to "wetting" in the bead. Heat wise you will have to watch for the edges of your added rod to determin if your arc is to cold , just right or to hot. to cold and it'll puddle or lay on top of the base metal. to hot and your base metal will sink away. good heat will make the base metal and added rod flow "wet" together or blend together smoothly. a few test welds on scrap would be helpfull. hope this helps

Guys........

I wanna use my Lincoln SP135-T Mig to weld some aluminum framing...I'm modifying an enclosed trailer.......

Can you guys give me some tips on what to watch for, what not to do, whatever.........? The framing will probably be 1/8" to 3/16" average.....

dont waste your time.you really need a more powerful machine,and a spool gun,push pull mig like an mk cobra,or a good tig welder.i do this every day,trust me you dont want to even try it with what you have.pm me if you have any questions.

This welder is compatible with the optional spool-gun Lincoln offers specially for aluminum..........

Is this just for wire speed?

Guys........

Things you are going to need to do this:
K664-2 Alum feed fit for SP135-T retails for about $65
includes a teflon liner and a u groove .035 drive roll. Use this ONLY for Alum as steel wire will eat up the liner quick.
100% argon
.035 alum wire (largest you can run in a 135)
stainless steel wire brush only used on Alum.
keep the gun as flat as possible or else it will not feed.
Plenty of beer as you will get frustrated as hell.

This welder is compatible with the optional spool-gun Lincoln offers specially for aluminum..........

Is this just for wire speed?

If it is fitted for the optional spool gun then that is the way to go if you are going to be doing a lot of it is the cost would not offset doing something small. The spool gun gives you control on the handle for the wire speed but more importantly a feed length of about 6" which will not give you the headache of the wire jamming in the liner of a long gun.

-
Back