aluminum wheel trick

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I discovered a quick way to clean the older aluminum rims that I wanted to pass along. The older 5 slot rims have very small grooves machined into the face of the rim and it is pretty difficult to get the black oxidation spots out of the grooves before you polish them. If you've owned a set then you know what I am talking about. I was at the store and saw these nylon wire wheels for rust removal and thought I would give them a shot. I washed & dried the rim first. Then I used the course one first on a drill and then the fine one last. Takes everything off the rim without marring the aluminum. Dues a great job cleaning the rim before polishing it. The rim on the right was what I started with. The 1 on the left was after using the fine nylon wire wheel. I didn't even polish it yet. Works pretty good and saves some elbow grease.

Attachments

• 0706012014.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 494
  • 0706012015.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 495
Awesome I have thought of doing something like this but never found the right material wheel. What store did you get them at?

I got them at Menards. Lowes probably has them too. Don't know how well they would work on the newer style wheels. The older 1 piece cast aluminum wheels are pretty tough to screw up. Don't think I would chance the lighter alloy wheels unless they are really bad. As always, test on a small part first to be safe.

I made a similar discovery...

For bare aluminum wheels that have no protective clear coat, spray them quickly and uniformly with "Oil Eater" cleaner (available at Kragens). Keep them wet. Scrub a little with a sponge if you want to. Hose off. The aluminum will look new.

I shoot it in my engine compartment then pressure wash it off. The master cylinder, intake manifold, etc look great.

I think I used tidebowl toilet cleaner for the rough cast finish aluminum once and had good results with that too. Worked on an aluminum intake that I had . It will dull a polished finish though.

-
Back