Am I crazy???

-
and put what in it? 210* @ .050? 220* @ .050? they built him a near stock 340 and he just needs to get it properly tuned. dizzy curve, carb tuning, probably even a correct converter

I don't think he should waste his time looking for a better converter....since it's a STICK...lol....sorry, couldn't help it :D

To the OP, I don't know what to tell you...that cam should have a little lope in a 340...it makes it sound mean. You can swap the cam for something even milder if you like, but that cam is not radical.

I don't know, I'm probably not the right person to reply on this sort of thing...my wife and kids LOVE to ride in my Barracuda around town...and it is quite loud and shakes EVERYTHING (that's what my kiddo's like)...but, to each their own.

Meet-Joe-"Dart";1970173003 said:
I've found new headers on a car have a louder, sort obnoxious sound to em'.... I have noticed that sort-of "mellows" after awhile. And come to think of it, if you wanted basically a stock 340 why did you add the TTI's????

The engine pieces I bought didn't have any exhaust manifolds. So, when first talking with the motor guy, we were talking about exhaust and he recommended headers simply because the exhaust flows better and runs more efficiently because you give the exhaust enough space for, in my words, the fluid dynamics to equalize so the chamber exhaust isn't fighting itself. In my mind, this helped feed into efficiency.

The engine pieces I bought didn't have any exhaust manifolds. So, when first talking with the motor guy, we were talking about exhaust and he recommended headers simply because the exhaust flows better and runs more efficiently because you give the exhaust enough space for, in my words, the fluid dynamics to equalize so the chamber exhaust isn't fighting itself. In my mind, this helped feed into efficiency.

Makes sense... it'll make your ride a little louder than stock though. How bout some pics of your sweet ride?? :happy3:

Well sure they do. They also make more power and the car louder.

Headers and performance mufflers make for a loud car. I realize this is just one part of what's bothering you, but one part that is easy to change.

sounds like to me you just want a quiet car...

that can be done. you want to 1. make sure it's not a bolted-together exhaust. you want it welded from the collectors back. 2. muffler selection: get a large opening stock muffler from a large v8 truck or car that matches the pipes underneath. probably 2.5"

don't use a turbo muffler, glass pack, dynotune, jungle George special or whatever is being marketed. get one from a stock vehicle. it will be less performance but much quieter.

problem solved. smoothness of the idle is meaningless, to be honest. it's just the noise that bothers you (or family members.)

also make sure you are using the best header gaskets. I think many will agree that Percy's don't leak
the noise can be dealt with, and you don't need to lose the headers right away. try a good stock muffler first that is meant for a larger engine.

Thanks for all the good advice, everybody. I didn't mean to come across too hard on the engine builder in my first post. To be honest, he did a bang up job on what he did build me and the resto shop did a great job making all of the little modifications look like they could have been stock. If I knew how to communicate better, I'm sure he would have built me what I wanted, or as close as possible.

So, lessons learned:

1. Write things down (I really should have known this)
2. Check with FABO. People here can help translate what you want into motor language.
3. Don't buy loud mufflers if you want a quiet car. (I only now realized I did that, but that can fixed) :)

I don't think he should waste his time looking for a better converter....since it's a STICK...lol....sorry, couldn't help it :D

To the OP, I don't know what to tell you...that cam should have a little lope in a 340...it makes it sound mean. You can swap the cam for something even milder if you like, but that cam is not radical.

I don't know, I'm probably not the right person to reply on this sort of thing...my wife and kids LOVE to ride in my Barracuda around town...and it is quite loud and shakes EVERYTHING (that's what my kiddo's like)...but, to each their own.

lol :banghead:

Nice pics!!!! What a beautiful ride!!! Love the color combo....:sign7: One more thought?? Did you Dyno-mat the interior? That would help with the loudness issue. Just a thought.:glasses7:

(What a nice ride!!!)

Yank it
Sell it
Put a 5.7L IMEH in it.
Push the button on the key chain and go down the road.

That's what you need right there.....modern fuel injected smooth idle quiet engine..

Now your gonna have to spend another 10G or more....:D

I think the shop used Hush mat or some similar sound deadening system. I'd have to go back and look and see what the trade name is.

yeah, a modern fuel injected engine would be great, but not quite was I was going for :) :)

No, you're not crazy...my 340 Duster has a slightly upgraded cam and runs and sounds smooth...sorry you're disappointed in your 340. Your 340 will make a GREAT car to take the kids to Sonics in. I've had mine for 30+ years and taking the three kids out for treats has always been fun. Can't really add to all the great ideas folks have given you above. Check the motor mounts are tight(probably are)! Have a reputable Mopar guy tweak what you don't like and for a few hundred bucks or less I bet you'll really enjoy your Duster.

No,your not crazy.Original 340 cars idled smooth,were reasonably quiet, were fast enough to be fun and driven sensibly got reasonable mileage.
my current project is being built pretty much stock with money spent on improving handling and braking.

NukeBass, there are some guys on here that are in the Charlotte area. If we could be of any help just seeing the car, hearing it first hand etc. maybe it would help determine just how radical or mild the engine and sound is. I hope you are not comparing it to your wifes TL :)

Anyway, I am in Concord, not more than 20 minutes away and a couple other guys are about as close.

" I got my 73 Duster restored at a shop recently (long project, took two years, ugh) "

Haha, that all? Dude, you could cut a lot of drama if you take the time to read up on how these things work, the internet exists for a reason. Nothing is voodoo now.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzXMZp8FC-I&feature=youtu.be"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzXMZp8FC-I&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Here's a clip of my car at idle. I just drove it around, to Concord, even! :) I took Hwy 3 outside of Cornelius to 29 in Concord and then to 73 to come back. Got caught in Ren Fair traffic and had to turn around.

Anybody in the Charlotte area is certainly welcome to come see it or we could meet half way. I have about 50 or so miles to put on it before I take it back for the post break in fluid change. At that point I plan on talking to the shop about options and at least get the carb changed out.

Yeah, the internet is a great thing, but I don't have skills or space to work on anything. That's why I paid big money to have someone else do it! :)

Well....... My guess is that 98.5% of the people here (including myself) will think your car sounds great.

But, like I have suggested all along, put stock mufflers on it first, if that doesn't do it, dump the headers for manifolds.

Once you sell the TTI headers and mufflers on here, you won't be out any money for the swap.

Well....... My guess is that 98.5% of the people here (including myself) will think your car sounds great.

But, like I have suggested all along, put stock mufflers on it first, if that doesn't do it, dump the headers for manifolds.

Once you sell the TTI headers and mufflers on here, you won't be out any money for the swap.

other than the idle sounds to high it sounds great!

Yeah, turns out the headers may not have been a good idea for what I was looking for. Does anybody sell new stock style manifolds? or will I have to go used?

I tried to capture some of the roughness of the idle, but my camera work is shaky to begin with :) Then again, that could be partly the carburetor. Hopefully I'll find out within a few weeks.

Yeah, turns out the headers may not have been a good idea for what I was looking for. Does anybody sell new stock style manifolds? or will I have to go used?

I tried to capture some of the roughness of the idle, but my camera work is shaky to begin with :) Then again, that could be partly the carburetor. Hopefully I'll find out within a few weeks.

You could buy these but you are better off buying used. Try mufflers first.

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1966-74-a-b-e-body/ae340

I think it sounds good, maybe alittle loud.
I'd bet that motor is right on target for a true 350/375hp motor.
I think the idle could be reduced after the breakin period.
You need to have a higher idle in the beginning to help
oil everything.

My recommendation is to change the mufflers to a
stock type and drive it for 1500 miles then have it
super tuned by a pro shop.
I bet they can make it purr.

Oh my word..........your car sounds just fine....if it is too loud for your liking, then just put a different muffler on, its not the end of the world. DO NOT go to the trouble of replacing your headers with manifolds...that would be a HUGE waste of money right there.

Don't forget, the OP doesn't do any work on the car, so he would be out hundreds of dollars in labor if he swapped to manifolds....bad choice in my opinion. Stock mufflers would be a good way to quiet it down.

It sounds to me that there was not enough clear communication throughout so it's not a case of "he screwed [you]". It's just a whoops.
Going by what you describe as your request - that cam, in my opinion, is too large. but not MUCH to much. It's a little bigger than I'd have used. An engine is not one or two parts, it's a system. So only knowing some of the specs won't help much. If it were me, I'd ask them about a smaller cam to see if the static compression is too high for a smaller one. I also second or third the idea of a 2nd opinion, and definately find a Mopar friendly shop to bring it to and have it compeltely set up. I can;t see the links from this PC but high idle should not be a problem. It should idle in the 700-800rpm range assuming it was built with performance pistons and that camshaft.
As far as the exhaust goes - leave the TTis. Replace the mufflers with a factory type replacement and it will calm down the noise and get rid of any resonations in the cabin.

-
Back