Am I making a mistake buying this trans??

-

BadAss71

Let's Go Brandon
Reaction score
Came across a good deal on a 5.9 magnum and overdrive transmission from a 2001 ram. I have searched the internet and found thks place 700raptor.com and it looks like they have a kit to make these transmissions operate properly. My question is does their kit work on this 01 transmission? Or should I find an earlier model? I would call and ask them but they are closed lol. That, and I would like your guys's opinions!

The '01 trans is electronically controlled. I am not sure but I doubt there is a stand alone controller for it so unless you plan on using all the factory fuel injection I would say an A518 would be a better choice.

When you say electronically controlled are you saying the entire trans is electronic or is it just the overdrive and lock up that are electronically controlled?

Mischiefdart is correct that the 2001 is computer controlled. There are transmission controllers out there to make them work but no idea if the one your looking at will work. You'd have to call them.

BTW: their all known as A518's if their the 727 with overdrive version. They also have another designation which for the early non computer controlled ones was 46RH and the later computer ones are 46RE. Don't forget their too large to bolt in an A-body if that's what you have. You'd need to do some cutting to make it fit.

Well shoot lol. Thanks for saving a bunch of grief! What year range should I be looking for?

I can't remember if it was 96 or 97 when they went to electronic shift but I think it was 97. Sorry I can't be more precise

Thanks for the info guys. I went and looked at the motor today and decided to buy it. It runs perfectly with no unusual noises. The nice thing about the deal is that it was owned by the city and comes with all of the maintenance records. With only 103k on the clock it still has alot of life left in it. The owner and I were talking prices and he asked if I would be interested in buying the entire truck. For the right price I would! He offered the whole truck to me for $1600. The truck had rear ended another truck so the entire front end is wasted. Its a 2001 2500 Ram 2wd. My plans are to take the motor and trans out and put them in my swinger, complete with all of the electronics and fuel injection. Im also going to use the gauge cluster and attempt to use the hvac system from the truck. Not sure if the hvac will fit under the dash or not but with some mods it might just work. So thats the plan if anyone wanted to know lol. Here is a pic of my new truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20120425_130954.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 186
duct tape it and drive it!!! Truck have power windows and locks? how out those in the swinger also.....just a thought. Nice score

Congrats on finding your new drivetrain......8) That should be xlnt for cruisin'

That utility box isn't a cheap item. I bet you can get back a few hundred bucks from it. Looks like you scored.

X2....An HVAC or plumbing contractor would love to have that.

Forgot to mention this. The utility bed is being taken off and wasnt included in the deal. He told me the main reason he bought the truck was for the bed. Everything else is tho lol. It is a stripped down model with no power windows or locks unfortunately. I do plan on putting power locks on the dart tho. What do you guys think the rear axle is worth? It is a 3/4 ton and has disc brakes. Would be an awesome upgrade for an older pickup. Here is a pic of the interior and motor.

Attachments

• IMG_20120425_130946.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20120425_131010.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 160
Thanks C! I am happy to have found what I was looking for. 805, I actually sold the 440 and 727 to a local guy who is putting them in his 68 charger. It was nice having big power under the hood, but I had to sacrafice a lot to have it. I wanted to make the car something I could just hop in and drive to new york if I wished. I will now have power steering, overdrive, air conditioning,and some decent fuel mileage. One day I will put together a drag car, but for now I prefer something I can drive, and enjoy at the same time.

Too late lol. I have everything I need to make it work. Now I just need to get to work haha

92-95 And your good to go.Don't wast your time with anything else.........

Literally EVERYTHING from the ram is going in to the dart. Motor, trans, wiring you name it. The whole shibang. It will work just like it did in the ram. Why wouldn't it?

Thanks C! I am happy to have found what I was looking for. 805, I actually sold the 440 and 727 to a local guy who is putting them in his 68 charger. It was nice having big power under the hood, but I had to sacrafice a lot to have it. I wanted to make the car something I could just hop in and drive to new york if I wished. I will now have power steering, overdrive, air conditioning,and some decent fuel mileage. One day I will put together a drag car, but for now I prefer something I can drive, and enjoy at the same time.

heck our hemi cars can have A/C and overdrive... and what do you need P/S for?? lol... well as long as your happy...

My dad has a 3/4 ton 4x4 service truck that same year for his work truck. You should have a dana 60 or 70 in the back. You can probably get half your money back by selling that on ebay for someone's jeep or buggy.

-
Back