Am I missing something?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
So after a long time away from my motor I am going to be able to get it back together soon. I have the short block assembled but another mopar guy stopped by and told my friend to make sure we did something before assembling the rest of the motor. My friend forgot what he said so I have a very broad question to ask now. Is there anything that needs to be done to the short block before assembly. I know it wasn't priming it and I know where to put all the sealant. I have assembled my motor before but I was curious if there was a hidden secret I was missing since I learned how to put motors together with Chevy motors.

Very possible. The guy lives right up the street so I was considering stopping by his house but I'm not real sure if just stoping by out of the blue would be ok.

I think there is a plug under the oil pump, not 100% positive as I have never taken them all out. If you didn't put that in there won't be any oil pressure if I recall correctly.

I would wait for some more knowledgeable responses.

Yup oil galley plugs are really the only thing, and making sure that the engine is clean before assembly.

IMO you should have some sort of ring binder/note pad to write down what you do as you proceed and a checklist to go by in order of steps. Mark things off when completed.

Yep. There is a plug under the oil pump, one in the distributor hole in the side of the lifter galley and a couple on the back of the block on the outside.

I'll check it out tonight. Hopefully I can get away from work long enough to make it out to the shop.

This thread

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=266852

Has good photos of all the gallery plugs. This is one area the shop manuals fall down

You might double check bearing clearances, use "plastigauge",

Take a REAL good look at the oil pump mount to be certain it is flush and not interfering with main cap bolts (a know problem with ARP main studs)

And make DAMN sure the pan is not interfering with the pump

Was the cam degreed? Your last chance!!! And this can make the difference between a dog and a runner

This thread

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=266852

Has good photos of all the gallery plugs. This is one area the shop manuals fall down

You might double check bearing clearances, use "plastigauge",

Take a REAL good look at the oil pump mount to be certain it is flush and not interfering with main cap bolts (a know problem with ARP main studs)

And make DAMN sure the pan is not interfering with the pump

Was the cam degreed? Your last chance!!! And this can make the difference between a dog and a runner

I'm pretty sure it's the plugs. Went through all the clearances and everything was good. Cam isn't in yet but it will be getting degreed. I'll be sure to be careful with the oil pump as well. Thank you.

-
Back