AMC/JEEP 242 (4.0) Flywheel bolt pattern draw diagram or other Mopar engine compatible

-

PauloMDQ

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need a flywheel for my AMC/Jeep 4.0. It is not available in my country and cannot be imported due to import restrictions. Apparently, the options would be:

A) find a compatible flywheel to adapt/reform from a Mopar car that is available in my country (Dodge Slant-six for example)
B) Make it from scratch in steel with a lathe operator

For both cases (make or adapt one) I need the diagram drawing with the measurements and distribution of the bolt holes on the crankshaft flange of the AMC/Jeep 4.0.

I am attaching some images, I got the diagram here in this forum and apparently it is from a slant-six, I didn't find one from AMC/Jeep:

Drawing / diagram o slant-six (apparently)
1LLxPPikHMW6zrChS3dyxFaOciCu3kHqj=s800

This is AMC/Jeep 242 4.0 crankshaft flange
1t8MZkXipSSQVrJTSH3Fb3DPztxu5mnqb=s400

This is a Slant-six (1972 up) crankshaft flange
1dXek7L2HH6fcpTGozo06DRIcdvk0ZQen=s400

Thank you very much for all your help !!

That's crazy, you can buy the vehicles their with no problems, but not the parts to fix them....!

Yes, you are right, here in Argentina we still cannot buy and import spare parts in a normal way. Between import restrictions or huge tax costs we cannot access spare parts like in any normal country.

That is why I need to manage as best I can... finding another compatible car and disassembling it or most of the time refurbishing and adapting parts...

Anyway, I would appreciate it if anyone could help me with the data to manufacture a part. Thanks!!

Yes, you are right, here in Argentina we still cannot buy and import spare parts in a normal way. Between import restrictions or huge tax costs we cannot access spare parts like in any normal country.

That is why I need to manage as best I can... finding another compatible car and disassembling it or most of the time refurbishing and adapting parts...

Anyway, I would appreciate it if anyone could help me with the data to manufacture a part. Thanks!!
I only have HO 4.0L & 258ci flexplates, both measure ~2.695" I.D., they are a "stamped tang" style hub-hole....not the easiest to get a precise dimension on. The bolt pattern is on a 3.75" circle, the bolt holes do not appear to have any shifted away from the 60°-on-center, the bolt hole diameters are .547"(4.0L) & .532"(258ci). As far as crank flange to ring gear & friction face offset/spacing is concerned, can't help with that, need an actual flywheel in You hands for that.
Honestly, go to a site that sells flywheels & see if You can bring one up along with a blueprint/spec diagram.
Best of luck!
EDIT; I meant to add, that's not a promising set of dimensions, there would have to be some serious "re-engineering" involved, so...
starting from scratch is likely the best policy..peace!
Jim K6

Last edited:
I only have HO 4.0L & 258ci flexplates, both measure ~2.695" I.D., they are a "stamped tang" style hub-hole....not the easiest to get a precise dimension on. The bolt pattern is on a 3.75" circle, the bolt holes do not appear to have any shifted away from the 60°-on-center, the bolt hole diameters are .547"(4.0L) & .532"(258ci). As far as crank flange to ring gear & friction face offset/spacing is concerned, can't help with that, need an actual flywheel in You hands for that.
Honestly, go to a site that sells flywheels & see if You can bring one up along with a blueprint/spec diagram.
Best of luck!
EDIT; I meant to add, that's not a promising set of dimensions, there would have to be some serious "re-engineering" involved, so...
starting from scratch is likely the best policy..peace!
Jim K6
Hi !!, thanks for your helps. Your data perfect concern whit data sheet from Luk about 4.0(242) Flywheel.

I have been to the spare parts stores and they tell me that they do not have any flywheel similar to the one I need.

In my country, in the 70s, there was an automobile factory that could have been related to AMC, it was called "IKA" Kaiser Industries Argentina, Rambler, Jeep and the Torino cars were manufactured whit particular and old design engine, inline-six (226ci) and inline-four (151ci), looks like continental flat head or willys.

I am trying to get a flywheel from an Ika Jeep (with a flat head engine) that seems to have the same flange center and holes bolts pattern (60 degree with offset one).

When I have it, I will upload the data to confirm.

I put some images about it below

Thank you very much!!!

Jeep IKA(Flathead engine) Flywheel:
1C_mcjrEtv7R8IyCzogaZ7cUMlqIMiZyw=s600
1HHA4qumgkeooojRgECDdscXI0M6NqIyL=s600

JEEP IKA:

11TzHKispjxBqLhWFmNU14tzMLRjFfvOy=s600

IKA 226ci Flathead Engine. Is this an AMC engine??:
1X4nWz7VYNcwyguUXlQpgFBLYtBa3N6W7=s600

ika 151ci :
1DgoCBXdIfH7sCty2Xdij2l9S1gSXZffI=s600

Last edited:
I'm not sure when 'AMC' took over those companies, but it looks alot like the later OHV inlines dimensions, Nash(Rambler) etc. could be any pattern tho'.

-
Back