American craftsmanship then and what we have now

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
64 yr old Kohler solid brass toilet valve and today's Chinesiumm one , all cheap plastic, it's pathetic

IMG_20221009_152917369_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221009_152925074.jpg

If you hunt, you can USUALLY find USA made parts.
Get out of the box store and start calling pro plumbing places.
This reminds me, I need to get a new flapper and water heater before I need to get a new flapper and water heater

This reminds me, I need to get a new flapper and water heater before I need to get a new flapper and water heater
Home Depot, $20 or so for the one that is complete is hard to pass, so I guess I'm equally guilty

I have an issue with hiring someone to do something I can do myself

My 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan interior is almost snap together. You know what happens when a snap together part is unsnapped? It usually breaks. :(Its radiator is also snap together: the AC condenser snaps to the front, power steering cooler line snaps onto the bottom, the bottom sticks into rubber grommets on the frame (all these clips and brackets are F'n PLASTIC!) and even the hoses are tool less when they are installed as the hoses come with spring clamps already on them that just take a twist to snap onto the radiator fittings. My 65 Barracuda interior is mostly screw on metal parts and you can take it apart and put it back together again until the cows come home and it still looks factory fresh.

I'm guilty. When I look for something on ebay....or anywhere else, the "Lowest price first" option is the first one I choose. As an example, just this past week, the starter bendix went out on my truck. Oreilly wants over 30 bucks for one......84 for another starter. Screw that. I found an older NOS made in USA one on ebay for 13 bucks in an old lookin all yellered up box. ......and I guarantee you it's better than any new one I can get now.

I'm guilty. When I look for something on ebay....or anywhere else, the "Lowest price first" option is the first one I choose. As an example, just this past week, the starter bendix went out on my truck. Oreilly wants over 30 bucks for one......84 for another starter. Screw that. I found an older NOS made in USA one on ebay for 13 bucks in an old lookin all yellered up box. ......and I guarantee you it's better than any new one I can get now.
"Lowest price first" if I'm not in a hurry. "Nearest First" if I am in a hurry.

"Lowest price first" if I'm not in a hurry. "Nearest First" if you are in a hurry.
Yeah but you know what I've found? They both take about the same time to get here. Unless of course you buy from another country and I buy strictly from the US. Even when I've found a part that's in Georgia, it still takes 4-6 days to get here.

Still quality parts out there just have to search, be patient and pay the price. You won't find them in HD or Lowes. If its automotive, forget chain type auto parts stores
Nothing new about this topic, its been discussed numerous times
When we point fingers and complain remember whose at fault
I won't get political but cheap imports and the country that makes them, they now own us.....And can you believe that we lap up their garbage and yet they are our enemy.....Must be me as I can't still quite figure that one out yet
So here I sit typing this at 3:30 am as I can't sleep more than a couple of hours, can't lay down in bed with having a coughing fit, fighting this F-ing virus that they sent us
Something is just wrong here

It's not the craftsman that are letting the quality go, it's the "new" corporations looking out for the bottom line and squeezing every penny they can, even if it means poor quality.... "We need to keep our stock prices high, so the stockholders won't sell out"...

If one stockholder sells out, another will buy the stock in place of him... What a bunch of bullshit....

It's not the craftsman that are letting the quality go, it's the "new" corporations looking out for the bottom line and squeezing every penny they can, even if it means poor quality.... "We need to keep our stock prices high, so the stockholders won't sell out"...

If one stockholder sells out, another will buy the stock in place of him... What a bunch of bullshit....
Oh, do you mean greedy capitalists

Could the OP have "just" put on a new flapper instead of replacing the entire valve?

I've found those usually don't require replacement as there's really nothing that can go wrong with them except physically break, and what's going to do that?

New gaskets are available.

I'm pretty sure the plastic ones last nearly forever as well.

The flappers OTOH, do not but that's expected.

Companies don't exist without customers.
Greedy consumers begat the greedy corporation.

Are you sure greedy companies didn't beget greedy consumers?

Are you saying you have proof that American consumers demand for lower prices (as buyers are wont to do) preceded American corporations desire to maximize profit (as corporations are wont to do), and that is what led corporations to move manufacturing overseas to leverage ridiculously cheap labor markets (and at the same time accept lesser quality to pass along to said consumer)?

-
Back