Ammeter Bypass=NO SPARK????

-

xLURKxDOGx

"An angel fat, at satan's feast"
Reaction score
I just spent the day following the MAD electrical Ammeter bypass link, there were a few things that confused me but i think i made it through(possibly?) I went to start the car and nothing. All the interior, (radio, fuel, autometer) work properly as well as the electric fan but couldnt get it to turn over normally, though i was able to jump the coil with a wire from the battery to the coil and it started right up. Still low voltage???? Any thoughts on what being able to jump the coil means here, or where i could have went wrong on this?

Jake

Just did mine, make sure your ignition wire to the starter solenoid is hot when you turn the key. I pulled mine loose with all the work from the upgrade.

Just did mine, make sure your ignition wire to the starter solenoid is hot when you turn the key. I pulled mine loose with all the work from the upgrade.

I agree. There should be no relationship between the MAD mod and the no-start condition directly. It must be a loosened connection. Probably something under the dash. Check the plug on the back of the ignition switch (if your car doesn't have it in the steering column). Also check that it is truly in neutral. That is the first thing I check when a key turn doesn't crank it over.

Battery is dead in my crystal ball so I have no clue what vehicle this is.
When everything works except start, I too would suspect lowering the steering column disturbed column shift linkage and neutral safety switch operation.

Battery is dead in my crystal ball so I have no clue what vehicle this is.
When everything works except start, I too would suspect lowering the steering column disturbed column shift linkage and neutral safety switch operation.
Sorry, its a 1963 plymouth valiant.

Jake

I agree. There should be no relationship between the MAD mod and the no-start condition directly. It must be a loosened connection. Probably something under the dash. Check the plug on the back of the ignition switch (if your car doesn't have it in the steering column). Also check that it is truly in neutral. That is the first thing I check when a key turn doesn't crank it over.

Thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention this was a 1963 Valiant. It turns over but i am getting no spark, and ill have a look into your suggestions. Thanks again.

Jake

Ignition switch bypasses the ballast during starting, if not, no spark.
Engine that starts but dies after key is released has no circuit through ballast resistor circuit.
At that point (1963) Chrysler had just introduced solid state radios using germanium transistors, and earlier ign switches did not remove all accesory power during starting.
When removing the cranking power from the starter, there would be a large inductive kick back into the 12v, and the brief spike in voltage would take out radio transistors.
Germanium transistors have a much lower turn-on potential than silicon, .3 volts vs .7 volts. They "punch through" and short with very little abuse.
This is why the radio is off during cranking.
Earlier tube radios did not have this problem.
The ignition switches were re-designed to correct this issue.

-
Back