Ammeter conversion and power rerouting

-

TXBarracuda

Reaction score
Thanks to all of the info here, I got ahead of a potential problem and converted my ammeter to a voltmeter. Of course, the voltmeter swings backwards of the ammeter, but I know what the marks mean.

I made a new cable (8 gauge) from the alternator to a bulkhead battery terminal. A short jump from there to the starter relay. The interior of the car, I cut the black wire from the pushblock and connected it to the new firewall terminal.

This is where my dumbass didn't finish thinking anything through and I'll fix it next weekend. I connected the black wire to the voltmeter (+), and made a small jumper to dash panel ground. This, of course, means the voltmeter isn't keyed on, it's just always reading. Small stuff. I'll cut and terminate the wire, then tap into a keyed hot for the voltmeter. Easy fix.

I'll be slowly rewiring the entire car. 12 and 14 gauge to replace all of the 16 and 18 gauge. 8-12 gauge for everything else. I picked up an American Autowire 22 circuit bulkhead connector to replace the current firewall block. Lots more pins than needed, but it gives room for expansion if I change things up.

Next up will be headlight relays and new wire for that run.

All connectors are crimped and soldered, with adhesive shrink tube to seal them up.

nQn4KyO

Last edited:
Any more progress on this? I am interested in what you've done.

Not yet. A bunch of everything else has taken priority. I have a new harness built and made up a cover plate for the new bulkhead connector, but I haven't installed any of it yet.

-
Back