An A and a J...The Mirada

-

wheelman21

Mopar noob
Reaction score
Ok, so many of you may not know what a dodge Mirada is, I didn't until yesterday, but I've got a question. It is A body relevant. I have the opportunity to pick up a Mirada that's been set up as a drag car. I can get it pretty cheap. Under the hood is a 340 that's been built. I won't know specifically what's in it until later tonight. But there is a nice demon carb and intake mani on top along with braided lines. Rumor on the street is it's putting out somewhere between 500-600. It's bolted through a 727 to a 8 3/4. It has drag wheels and slicks. The Body of the car is very solid as are the floors.

Some of you may remember I was trying to decide what to do with the 383 I had for my 73 dart sport. I am considering picking up this Mirada and doing 1 of a couple of things. Clean it up and resell it (the interior isn't horrible, but it's a little rough), take out the whole drivetrain and drop it into my dart and call it a day and sell the roller or part it out, or just clean her up a little, and have a little ugly duckling pro-street styled street/strip car. What do you guys think?

One of my biggest questions is, has anyone seen a parts market for these cars? They are pretty rare from what I've gathered, with only 52k being made total. I know some parts like the plastic rear tail section is almost impossible to buy. There is only one reproduction available and I can't even find the guy. Do you guys think I could get any money out of parting this thing out? The seats are original and perfect. It has the original steering wheel, and it's one of the fat ones, not the skinny ugly one. The dash is in good shape. It has t-tops.

I heard the engine run, and it started right up after a little ether and a couple cranks, which is understandable, it's cold out. So what do you guys think? Any veterans have any thoughts?

A parts market? There's a parts market for everything, it's just a matter of finding the right buyer.

Except for the plastic fore and aft above the bumpers, there's not a lot of "sought after" parts. Some of the stuff will interchange with 2 door M's. The suspension will interchange with F/M/J's. Clean sheet metal is clean sheet metal. If I'm reading the zip in your profile right, then I might be in the market, depending on price, of course, if you decide to part it out.

I think one of the biggest questions that'll be asked it how is the rear set up? What's the origins of the 8.75 under it? Was the iso's eliminated, and if so, was it done properly? If it was done properly, using a B-body rear, then you have the B-body guys and the F/M/J guys who are willing to buy in.

The weatherstripping is also another thing that guys are looking for. Finding 'em in good shape is like pulling teeth.

The front disks can be used on a lot of other body styles.

Personally, I think you'd be better off trying to sell it whole instead of the hassle of parting it out.

Ramenth, you are in the same general area as me. We're about 20-30 min away. What would you be interested in? If I decide to part it, I'll be keeping the rear end, the trans, and the engine. I just found out that the engine runs on race gas, so unless that can be changed without too much hassle, I will most likely pass. I can't afford to feed the thing $10/gallon gas.

Scoot, I don't really want a "race only" car, so it depends on the engine components. I'm also not sold on the looks of the mirada. Having the only one of a model isn't always great if the car is ugly, haha.

Ramenth, you are in the same general area as me. We're about 20-30 min away. What would you be interested in? If I decide to part it, I'll be keeping the rear end, the trans, and the engine. I just found out that the engine runs on race gas, so unless that can be changed without too much hassle, I will most likely pass. I can't afford to feed the thing $10/gallon gas.

Scoot, I don't really want a "race only" car, so it depends on the engine components. I'm also not sold on the looks of the mirada. Having the only one of a model isn't always great if the car is ugly, haha.

If you wind up parting it I'm sure I can find something that we need. The young gun here is working on getting his Cordoba on the road for spring for his 16th birthday. It's been a while since I've looked it over, but we do need some odds and ends. It's a matter of how much of a hurry you're in. I want to get the Cordoba to the shop before the end of Feb, as he turns 16 in March. Just need some time away from customer work to get some snow cleared away as to where to put it.

The Mirada/Cordoba is also the same as the Imperials from 81-83. I have found that parts are difficult to find for J bodied Mopars. I have an 81 Imperial that is going under full restoration when the weather clears. Some of the Arizona salvage yards may have some parts.

Wheelman21, Im in NY. You got any pics of the Mirada? I might want to purchase the whole car. Thanks

Well I bought it! I got a pretty good deal. I paid $2,800. I was going to bring it home tonight, but old man winter boned me! So hopefully I'm having it dropped off tomorrow, but only if the roll-back can make it up my road. For right now I'm just going to keep it and do a little clean up on it. Reroute some of the wiring under the hood, repaint the headers and valve covers, add some new carpet, just little inexpensive stuff to make it nicer. I may just register it and drive it until someone wants it or I pick up a shell or something. Who knows....but for now I'm just going to enjoy a solid car with a good motor. For now I'm calling her AJ.

Some of the other details about the drivetrain; The rear is a 489 case. It has a clutch posi as well. The engine isn't as built as hot as previously thought, but a good engine the way it is with lots of room for improvement. J heads, M1 intake, Mighty Demon, big K&N, six pack scoop on the hood, hooker headers, yada yada yada.

I'll have pics as soon as I get it in the barn.

-
Back