An easier way to cut carb base gaskets

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I always hated cutting and matching up these stuff azz carb base Gaskets. By time I’m done porting and blending things they get a little thin in areas and hard to manipulate scissors around without breaking the gasket at times. So I grabbed a pair of toenail cutters that I always have here for cutting out porting burrs from my fingers and tried using them to cut the gasket. This will be my new go to for this job. They worked great.

CFA00671-4947-4479-BFB7-1930163657A4.jpeg

30BA377F-201A-44D0-86E1-FFC6BF66644A.jpeg

3AC09E59-95B1-469C-B9C0-A0C24A69061C.jpeg

Have you ever tried a sandpaper roll to do it? I've never used on a gasket like that, but have a few different shapes of rolls that I use for various tasks. A pair of those toenail clippers that look like itty bitty wire cutters might work good for that too. Thanks for the new idea!

:thumbsup:

Have you ever tried a sandpaper roll to do it? I've never used on a gasket like that, but have a few different shapes of rolls that I use for various tasks. A pair of those toenail clippers that look like itty bitty wire cutters might work good for that too. Thanks for the new idea!

:thumbsup:

Ya I tried sanding rolls and didn’t like that method it always left a lip that had to be removed too.

Always use a small ball pein hammer.
Just tap around the edge of the manifold or whatever you are making a gasket for. The sharp edge will cut the gasket material.

I use a thin extendable utility knife. The one that fits in a shirt pocket.

Always use a small ball pein hammer.
Just tap around the edge of the manifold or whatever you are making a gasket for. The sharp edge will cut the gasket material.
That's how I do it! That's real old school!

That’s how I did them doing Millwright work but that didn’t work as well on thin carb gaskets. Just recommending something to try. Carry on
Next time I need to make or modify a gasket I'll try it.

ohh... i'd never thought of using the clippers for that!

for really thin and intricate work these are my weapons of choice:

Amazon product ASIN B001V7M5AE

I've had to make a few gaskets for small engines over the last few months. To make nice round holes for bolts I've used empty steel 7.62 x39 cases. I run my chamber tool on the outside and inside of the case a few times then whack with a hammer.
Cuts holes nicely in gasket material and a good use of old steel empties from the AK.

Last edited:
For making perfect round holes of different sizes I sold dozens of these sets. Mac Tools GC950

Mac Tools gasket cutter set.png

-
Back