An Old Timer once told me...

-

Wicked72ride

Reaction score
I was talking to an Older Gentleman at a car show and he told me about his first Mopar he had back in the 70s. He said that he ran a 360 with 318 heads to increase compression.

Does this sound likely or even a good idea?

can't say from experience with a mopar done that way but I had a camaro years ago that had a 350 with 305 heads and it ran like a raped ape!

...................Yup, as long as u dont plan on spinning it too high.........really perks up the low and mid range............kim...........

With a 'lil' porting they flow what/or close to what a stock 360 head flows

the heads open chamber heads are like 68cc's while the 360 heads are like 72cc's

4cc's could be about 10'ish psi increase in cylinder pressure.

the int port volume is 124cc for 318 heads and 155-160cc's for 360 heads depending on wether they're 2.02 or 1.88 int valves

Compression is only as good as the octane you have available.

And for a daily driver, you want to run the least expensive fuel you can find(with in reason)

I'm not saying it "won't" work! But, you might as well make it a matching set and put the little ol 318 intake and carb, to complete the package.

My self i would scrap the 318 idea and spend your money on RPM Air Gap intake and let the 360 Breeeth..............But I'm a lead foot, so your idea would make me do this :violent1:If i tried it on my own vehicle.:thumbup:

something like....., a lifted pickup(read rock crawler) would be a Grate home for this Option!

:fart:<------just because it make me laugh :D

I've seen it done before. Ran poorly, wouldn't go over 4000 rpm and this was on a bone stock engine. There's a reason why the factory put bigger ports and valves on a 360.

How did you get small block ford heads on an FE engine? LOL

My 351W F250 does really well with 5.0 heads on it, but the 302 Ford heads flow as well as late 70s early 80s 360 heads.

Got 302 heads on my 360. The heads have been cut down to 57 cc chambers.... hitting in ball park of 10.5 compression but the overlap of the cam helps bleed it off some.

That was actually pretty common starting about 1974 for several years. The open chamber heads on a 360 were about 72cc and they dropped the piston in the hole for lower compression. A fast easy fix was to work over a set of 318 heads and bolt 'em on. along with a timing gear set. They ran better than stock by a bunch. The 318 heads could be bought as re-man really cheap around that time too. Maybe they weren't all they could be in high rpm but it sure improved them as a regularly driven street motor over the stock smog dog.

along with a timing gear set.

I assume you are referring to the "retarded" smogger cams?

I can never remember whether it's "in the cam" or "in the cam drive"

By the way, they are not "gears," but rather sprockets

yes how well does it run - I am assuming you run supreme, right?

How does it run????

I run 93 octane ethanol free ... if I can find it.
The intake is a Performer so the ports on the intake and heads are the same size.
The valves have been back cut.
Air fuel velocity is through the roof.
I have no detonation problems but like said the over lap of the cam helps that... purple shaft .474
Its a torquey little SOB that's for sure.
The package wasn't built for all out performance but for having a little fun on the streets, burn outs, chrip the gears etc...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFdTRqQlYew"]YouTube - &#x202a;67 Plymouth Barracuda&#x202c;&rlm;[/ame]

Nope

Intake valve are 1.78 exhaust are 1.50

.100 IN 76 EX 77
.200 111 113
.300 175 122
.400 201 126
.500 204 128

Don't laugh to hard...
BJR worked them up for me.

so they are not ported but they still flow 30 cfm more than stock?:sign5:
And bobby didnt fix the ratio which is weird...

none the less, good deal if they work for you.:thumblef:

so they are not ported but they still flow 30 cfm more than stock?:sign5:
And bobby didnt fix the ratio which is weird...

none the less, good deal if they work for you.:thumblef:

Do you think the flow numbers are a fib?
I do remember him telling me that back cutting the valves will make a significant rise in flow. So do you think that back cutting is capable of producing 30 cfm of flow? I mean what does a stock 302 head flow anyways... 174 cfm?

What do you mean "fix the ratio"?

[quoteIntake valve are 1.78 exhaust are 1.50

.100 IN 76 EX 77
.200 111 113
.300 175 122
.400 201 126
.500 204 128][/quote]

My 302's went 217 @.440 with just some bowl work and a gasket match with a 1.84 valve.

Hysteric

-
Back