An Orion transmission?

-

Dne007

Reaction score
Hi, I bought this transmission mainly for the bell housing to put my slant 6 on my engine run stand. the transmission was in a mid-late 80's dodge truck(maybe) originally was on the column shift but converted to a floor shift. So, I say, well, could I use it just for conversation? It's very clean on the inside and shifts ok statically as it is. 2nd and 3rd gear I have a difficult time telling the difference in its "ratio", seems like they turn the same speed or so close I can't tell the difference. I wish the seller had the flywheel but alas he did not. I do have a 904 for the slant, but it's a toss up at this time what I really want to go with.' So what is it? what does the tag mean?
dne'
found this transmission:
orion transmissioni.jpg

orion transmissionh.jpg

orion transmissiong.jpg

orion transmissionb.jpg

orion transmissiona.jpg

orion transmission.jpg

3 speed manual.jpg

Strange looks like a 903 but it has 3 synchronizers note the flat cover with no hump to clear the input shaft gear which would signify a 745 3 speed maybe it's not Mopar. I have seen the Orion name on Ford Transmissions.

They were made by Tremec and were based off of the 3.03 Ford/Tremec 3-speed but with a different input and tailshaft. I don't know what the relationship was between Ford and Tremec, but the Ford Toploader was also made by Tremec. Here is another version used in '66-9 GM BOP A bodies. 3.03 is the distance between the mainshaft centerline and countershaft centerline and has nothing to do with the first gear ratio.

IMG_3931.JPG

IMG_3932.JPG

If it fits the slant 6 bellhousing, (obviously) and will fit in the transmission tunnel, use it. How will the car know what it is?

-
Back