And so it begins,,,,,, 5-speed Duster swap!

-
That has almost no strength at all. The bending direction from the left to right of the car is basically nothing. I can bend 1/4" bar by hand without heating it. You need a 3D shape.
View attachment 1716297011View attachment 1716297012

This is very stuff. It's made of similar materials but it controls flex and bending in both directions. Shouldn't be terribly hard to do it right. It's especially important since that's the crossmember the torsion bars are connected to.

The lower crossmember should be strong also, but I wouldn't rely on just that.

Been 6 years with the setup on my car but the car was stiff other than the edges of the floors as soon as that upper crossmember was in.
wow that is soo much more floor cut out than i expected it to be

Another piece of the puzzle arrived today. Direct fit speedo cable from Silver Sport Transmission(great people to deal with).

IMG_3423.jpeg

That has almost no strength at all. The bending direction from the left to right of the car is basically nothing. I can bend 1/4" bar by hand without heating it. You need a 3D shape.
View attachment 1716297011View attachment 1716297012

This is very stuff. It's made of similar materials but it controls flex and bending in both directions. Shouldn't be terribly hard to do it right. It's especially important since that's the crossmember the torsion bars are connected to.

The lower crossmember should be strong also, but I wouldn't rely on just that.

Been 6 years with the setup on my car but the car was stiff other than the edges of the floors as soon as that upper crossmember was in.
A question to you if you don't mind. When you cut the original floor tunnel cross member out, did you notice any undue flexing of anything? In other words, when I get ready to do mine, would it be recommended to maybe weld in some braces?

A question to you if you don't mind. When you cut the original floor tunnel cross member out, did you notice any undue flexing of anything? In other words, when I get ready to do mine, would it be recommended to maybe weld in some braces?
Yeah, the floor flexes A LOT.

I had the torsion bars backed off, had the car as leveled as possible on the floor before I started cutting. Used the lower crossmember piece to hold the bolt holes all together when I started with the welding of the top piece. I wasn't worried about the car bending after that but the floor will still flex in areas not by the crossmember until its all tied back together.
1725188061371.png
1725188073859.png

The floor is then tied into the upper crossomember and then I had patched the 4-speed hump back to an automatic floor and modified from there. I bought a new automatic carpet kit and it isn't noticeable. There is a slightly bunched area on the passenger side right at the front edge but it's fine generally.

1725188209085.png

Yeah, the floor flexes A LOT.

I had the torsion bars backed off, had the car as leveled as possible on the floor before I started cutting. Used the lower crossmember piece to hold the bolt holes all together when I started with the welding of the top piece. I wasn't worried about the car bending after that but the floor will still flex in areas not by the crossmember until its all tied back together.
View attachment 1716297351View attachment 1716297352
The floor is then tied into the upper crossomember and then I had patched the 4-speed hump back to an automatic floor and modified from there. I bought a new automatic carpet kit and it isn't noticeable. There is a slightly bunched area on the passenger side right at the front edge but it's fine generally.

View attachment 1716297353
Where did you get that upper torsion bar crossmember piece that you used on your car. It looks like it is pre-fabricated.

IMG_3425.png

Turned out the 4-speed hump was screwed to the floor with a bunch of screws and seam sealer. Once the screws were removed, I was able to take the hump out by hand.

IMG_3427.jpeg

IMG_3428.jpeg

I unwound the torsion bars completely before I started cutting on the torsion bar crossmember. My little air saw did not bind at all while cutting so I don’t believe there is any pressure on the crossmember with the torsion bars unwound.

IMG_3429.jpeg

IMG_3430.jpeg

IMG_3431.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

IMG_3433.jpeg

I ended up putting the transmission up into place about four times as I measured and cut the floor pan. Now I just need to figure out what I’m gonna use to support the torsion bar crossmember and then go ahead and patch the floor back up.

IMG_3434.jpeg

IMG_3435.jpeg

I used a similar 1/4" plate on the bottom as shown in your photo, and added another 1/4" plate on top of the floor. above the torsion bar cross-member. Sandwiched like that, it is very strong and doesn't flex.

I also fully welded the seams of the torsion bar cross-member to the floor pan, welded in a compete US Cartool Chassis Stiffening Kit and put in a partial roll-cage.

200R4 5.jpg

I finally got a chance to do some work on the Duster. I decided to go with a 2” wide 1/2” think piece of steel for the torsion bar mount brace. I had the metal shop bend it to exact width and make it extra long, so I could cut it to length. It fits perfectly in the existing torsion bar mount. I welded it into place and welded the existing floor pan to the mount also. I am also going to weld the floor patch panel to my new torsion bar mount brace, to make it as strong as possible. I honestly don’t think I’ll have any issues.

IMG_3474.jpeg

IMG_3491.png

IMG_3490.png

IMG_3489.png

IMG_3488.png

IMG_3487.jpeg

I finally got a chance to do some work on the Duster. I decided to go with a 2” wide 1/2” think piece of steel for the torsion bar mount brace. I had the metal shop bend it to exact width and make it extra long, so I could cut it to length. It fits perfectly in the existing torsion bar mount. I welded it into place and welded the existing floor pan to the mount also. I am also going to weld the floor patch panel to my new torsion bar mount brace, to make it as strong as possible. I honestly don’t think I’ll have any issues.

View attachment 1716300375

View attachment 1716300377

View attachment 1716300378

View attachment 1716300379

View attachment 1716300380

View attachment 1716300381
That looks pretty stout. Just a question. please. How similar in size is this transmission to the Tremec T5? Thanks.

Lakewood 's bells seem to allow much greater variation to specs in their stuff.
The Quick Time Bell is a much nicer product. I'm using one on my new Stroker 5.9 Magnum to attach a 4L60 to it.

View attachment 1716295852
jbc426, I know you modified the trans tunnel already from the posting already, my question is do you think the 4L60e would fit without surgery to the tunnel?

Not trying to be mean, but, It's quite weak actually, especially for the thickness of material used.

No 3D shape and right angle bends without any gussets or triangulation, There is pretty low torsional stiffness and bending in the transverse direction on the car would be pretty easy. These cars are basically trying to twist the car at the center of the transmission tunnel because that crossmember taking the load to hold the car up.

Compound that with only welding at the ends to what is essentially just sheet metal, that area is going to be highly stressed and bend easily.

The crossmember I used in my case is the way I would have designed my own if it wasn't available, basically 3 pieces together making a "c" type cross-section like the original, truck frames, etc. It's overlapped for a signifigant part into what is left of the original crossmember, and can be welded in place there.

You could use something like 1/4x1 flat stock on each end and lap over both ends and blunt the corners a bit and then it would be very strong.

That looks pretty stout. Just a question. please. How similar in size is this transmission to the Tremec T5? Thanks.
It’s quite a bit larger than a T5. Lengthwise they are identical. I’ve got a couple fox bodies with T5’s in them. They are a good trans.

Not trying to be mean, but, It's quite weak actually, especially for the thickness of material used.

No 3D shape and right angle bends without any gussets or triangulation, There is pretty low torsional stiffness and bending in the transverse direction on the car would be pretty easy. These cars are basically trying to twist the car at the center of the transmission tunnel because that crossmember taking the load to hold the car up.

Compound that with only welding at the ends to what is essentially just sheet metal, that area is going to be highly stressed and bend easily.

The crossmember I used in my case is the way I would have designed my own if it wasn't available, basically 3 pieces together making a "c" type cross-section like the original, truck frames, etc. It's overlapped for a signifigant part into what is left of the original crossmember, and can be welded in place there.

You could use something like 1/4x1 flat stock on each end and lap over both ends and blunt the corners a bit and then it would be very strong.
So you don't think what appears to be 1/2" bar stock is very strong?

It’s quite a bit larger than a T5. Lengthwise they are identical. I’ve got a couple fox bodies with T5’s in them. They are a good trans.
Would you be willing to give some undercar dimensions of the tunnel when you are done? I may want to duplicate the size in case I ever do a transmission upgrade later. Thank you.

So you don't think what appears to be 1/2" bar stock is very strong?
Not at all. You'll find nothing made like this anywhere. You'll find a lot of C, U, H, I shapes but not this for a reason that its only stiff if it only took load in the driection of the 2" (as if it was a floor joist in a house or something) which this is not doing at all.

The tie in to the existing structure is bad, only as good as the weakest point (which is the sheet metal itself), right angles without gussets is bad, and it has low stiffness. 1/4" bends super duper easy by hand and even with double the thickness you can see it was cold bent, not sure what they used but a lever arm of a couple feet you could probably do it manually pretty easily.

The original part is the way it is for a reason. Even if this was made out of 1x2" rectangular tubing with mitre cuts and welds to get around the crossmember with decent welds it would be fairly stiff.

Not at all. You'll find nothing made like this anywhere. You'll find a lot of C, U, H, I shapes but not this for a reason that its only stiff if it only took load in the driection of the 2" (as if it was a floor joist in a house or something) which this is not doing at all.

The tie in to the existing structure is bad, only as good as the weakest point (which is the sheet metal itself), right angles without gussets is bad, and it has low stiffness. 1/4" bends super duper easy by hand and even with double the thickness you can see it was cold bent, not sure what they used but a lever arm of a couple feet you could probably do it manually pretty easily.

The original part is the way it is for a reason. Even if this was made out of 1x2" rectangular tubing with mitre cuts and welds to get around the crossmember with decent welds it would be fairly stiff.
My plan is to take two stock upper cross members, section them and make a larger one.

jbc426, I know you modified the trans tunnel already from the posting already, my question is do you think the 4L60e would fit without surgery to the tunnel?
I’m not sure about the tunnel itself, but the torsion bar brace that goes around the top of the tunnel would have to be removed for sure.

IMG_3492.jpeg

Along these lines....and forgive me if I'm derailing somewhat......I see SilverSport transmissions has a transmission cross member for an early A body for the TKO and TKX. Do yall know if the Tremec T5 will utilize the same cross member, or if it is close enough to modify? Thanks.

I'll know in the next 48 hours, and post here..

Last edited:
-
Back