And speaking of tools

-

Steve welder

Reaction score
Whose getting yours when that time comes?
Ive accumulated a pretty decent amount of tools, testers, speciality things over the many decades. Ive also accumulated a good amount of tools for the serious home owner looking to do his or hers own repairs or remodelling
Ive started passing on some stuff I dont really need but thats hardly a dent.
I gave away my Rigid tri-pod pipe vise and threaders to my son in laws brother who's starting out and was thrilled to get them. Im leaving more and more stuff at my sons country home
My hand tools are going to my three grandsons. Im hoping one of them will appreciate them
The little guy looked a couple of weeks ago at all the hand wrenches and sockets and his eyes got real big when I told them some day they will be his
What about you guys, as we age have you ever thought about this

I told my kids the other day... boys, when you realize man, I didn't save for retirement like Dad said to... You can say... oh yea! Dad's tools... we can sell em.

My kids have zero interest in tools. They will probably go to my best friends boys as they are very into Mopars and working on cars.

I have a lot of tools (of course). My oldest will probably get those. He is quite mechanical and has worked on his vehicles without my help. He's like me and wants to do it himself. The youngest isn't as mechanical and doesn't care about cars but is a computer whizz like her older brother. Neither care about my two cars. Now, what about my bourbon collection ??? I have already talked about that. I will have a small list of bottles for them to keep and the rest can be samples and given away at my funeral. 320 bottles and counting. Cheers!

My two daughters or my nephew.
My step son, unfortunately, is useless and of character I literally despise. A good reason to be cremated.. so he doesn't piss on my grave. Always an uplifting subject.

Being a mechanic I have quite a large number of hand tools along with a very nice Matco tool box to hold them, but with no kids of my own I have no idea what will become of them when I'm gone.

I have a will made out with my desires to what will be left of my bank account, car, guns, when i conk out, but not my tools.
I really don't know anybody that would be interested.
I don't have a wife, no kids, and i'm the last of the line of family.
Would be a good thing for me to start thinking about the tools, as I'm 70, and how many more years do i have left, anyway.
Anyone got any thought about this tool thing for the original poster of this thread, and me, what to do with the tools?

I have a will made out with my desires to what will be left of my bank account, car, guns, when i conk out, but not my tools.
Would be a good thing for me to start thinking about the tools, as I'm 70, and how many more years do i have left, anyway.
Anyone got any thought about this tool thing for the original poster of this thread, and me, what to do with the tools?
Maybe a trade school.

Maybe a trade school.
Well, that's a good thought, but i have never heard of any type of trade schools, out here in my area of Commiefornia.
I grew up in Connecticut, and went to a high school, trade school, from 1966 to 1970 where there were lots of trade schools.
I had an apprenticeship as an industrial machinist, but quickly found out working in factories wasn't for me.
Then i said hello, to the US Air Force, for 7 years, as an aircraft mechanic.

Well, that's a good thought, but i have never heard of any type of trade schools, out here in my area of Commiefornia.
I grew up in Connecticut, and went to a high school, trade school, from 1966 to 1970 where there were lots of trade schools.
I had an apprenticeship as an industrial machinist, but quickly found out working in factories wasn't for me.
I'm kinda in the same boat. Just turned 60. I probably have 100,000 into tools.

got a friend that has helped me with a lot of car projects who is 10 years younger than me. He will figure out what he needs and then make sure the folks that get the cars have what they need to keep them up...

With Gods good graces you will be around a lot longer, 70 isn't all the old and thats coming from a 71 year old
Id hope one of my three grandsons will be interested by the time they are older and while im sure much stuff will be taken, if the hand tools and what not aren't maybe I will give them away to somebody starting out
We accumulate tools most of our lives and im not looking forward to the day I cant use them but the reality is there are more important things in life
Good luck

My wife will call our long time family friend to give a hand selling my accumulation. There were four of us at one time that had the same thought but now it's three. Pity the last one!

Nobody in my immediate or extended family will be interested in my tools, maybe some of the firearms. I've got about 6000 lbs of metal lathes, milling machines, welders, and tons of hand tools they'll be dealing with if I kick the bucket unexpectedly. I have a loose plan on downsizing as I get older and accomplish certain goals/projects, but if I get hit by a bus or something, there is going to be a hell of a garage sale around here.

I have a daughter, and two granddaughters, so no go there. Son-in-law getting them, nah. I have a nephew who is was a mechanic, but he is only 10 years younger, and at the rate he's going, I'll probably outlast him. I have a younger cousin who has an interest in muscle cars, when he has time, so maybe him. I have some of my dad's wrenches and sockets from the 40's when he worked at Pratt & Whitney during the war as an aircraft mechanics helper. Talking some large tools from then that still look good, ( J. H. Williams ) but of no use to me. Good shop ornaments.

I have a sign that hangs in my parts building that I got at the Portland swap meet one year:

"If I die, I hope to God that my wife doesn't sell these parts for what I told her I paid for them."

Well if you keep looking at those Paige pictures Jim you may stroke out sooner than you think!! :poke: :lol:

Well if you keep looking at those Paige pictures Jim you may stroke out sooner than you think!! :poke: :lol:
Not to hijack the thread, but that gal probably keeps this old mans heart going, in my old age.
Already got a a replacement cow valve, on the heart, keeping me going, on top of this planet Earth.

Well I have two daughters and their husbands would have a hard time using a can opener. So I will keep picking up my tools until they pick me off the garage floor, so I guess who ever has the shop keys.......

Whose getting yours when that time comes?
Ive accumulated a pretty decent amount of tools, testers, speciality things over the many decades. Ive also accumulated a good amount of tools for the serious home owner looking to do his or hers own repairs or remodelling
Ive started passing on some stuff I dont really need but thats hardly a dent.
I gave away my Rigid tri-pod pipe vise and threaders to my son in laws brother who's starting out and was thrilled to get them. Im leaving more and more stuff at my sons country home
My hand tools are going to my three grandsons. Im hoping one of them will appreciate them
The little guy looked a couple of weeks ago at all the hand wrenches and sockets and his eyes got real big when I told them some day they will be his
What about you guys, as we age have you ever thought about this

YES , I need to sell a bunch of stuff , so my son wont have to deal with it ...

Steve, I’m in the same boat. Maybe a nephew or 2. And certainly not the undeserving relatives. Don’t know if an auction is best or not. Probably just have everything sold off. I think that’s best so the family left behind doesn’t have to deal with my stuff. Kim

-
Back