Anifreeze leak from headers

-

22dog22

Reaction score
Getting close to firing up my rebuilt 318, had front of car on jack stands, to fill cooling system to get the air to bleed out had a minor leak at the thermostsatic housing took off cleaned and used form a gasket, had car still front up in air on stands to put the header panel, bumper on car, noticed some antifreeze on floor on rt side rear of engine, checked it out antifreeze was leaking out of the rt rear most header tube where it meets the head, do you think I have a leaking intake manifold gasket have an aluminum intake ??

Did you put thread sealant on the front and rear bolts/studs that go into the head on the headers? They are wet holes, in other words they go into water.

If you didn't put some sealant on them, that's probably what's leaking.

Hi BAD SPORT, are you talking about the intake to head bolts or the headers to head bolts ??

Front and rear header to head. They go into the water jacket, they need sealant.

You should also use non hardening thread sealant on the intake bolts as well, to keep oil from wicking up the threads and leaving little puddles on your intake.

You may or may not have a problem there. If you do see little puddles forming, that's where it's coming from most likely.

x2 on the front and rear header bolts, or studs, they need sealant on them, and check them once in a while.

You should also use non hardening thread sealant on the intake bolts as well, to keep oil from wicking up the threads and leaving little puddles on your intake.

That's the second time I've heard that this week. My builder did that to my engine too!

That's the second time I've heard that this week. My builder did that to my engine too!

Lol, mine was self taught. I installed an intake one time without doing it, and after a while I had these mysterious little puddles on my intake.

-
Back