Anniversary of first 426 hemi raced today

-
Reaction score
Today in 1964 was first time 426 hemi was raced. I have pettys block from that race. Those engines had serial number cast in them upside down. I got paperwork from Chrysler about it
4057CB51-9EE5-409E-B70B-BB7FB048D67C.jpeg

Chrysler did some cool stuff back then, with a cast date of 2-8-64 to race day in 3 weeks, awesome.

Great effort by Mother. From the drawing board in July 1963 to not only finishing it's first, gruelling 500m race, but coming 1,2,3,4.
Some may not know that on the dyno leading up to the race, engines were blowing up due to core shift in the bores. New blocks were hurriedly re-cast & the winning block was cast on Feb 10.
Compare the Hemi to the POS Ferd 351C raced in this country & had to be extensively resigned to finish a race, let alone win. The most popular Ferd racer here commented, 'They blow up on the starter...'

Chrysler did some cool stuff back then, with a cast date of 2-8-64 to race day in 3 weeks, awesome.
I read a story that the first Hemi’s made great power, but had a tendency for the block to crack in the cylinders when ran hard and long like in a 500 mile race. Those blocks cast and machined weeks before race day were an attempt to beef up the block where the cracks occurred. The change was successful.

I read a story that the first Hemi’s made great power, but had a tendency for the block to crack in the cylinders when ran hard and long like in a 500 mile race. Those blocks cast and machined weeks before race day were an attempt to beef up the block where the cracks occurred. The change was successful.

VERY SUCCESSFUL !

Just google "Petty's first 1964 Hemi". Read that interesting blurb the other day.

kind of weird that the '64 Plymouth in the photo is connected to King Richard and is painted Red,,, that is not the way I remember it.
Also doubt that any stock bodied race car of that era would have the side and window trim present.

I don't know about the red, but other "actual" photos of Petty show that some cars DID have the side trim

hard-petty-poses-for-a-photo-in-front-of-his-dodge-plymouth-circa-picture-id95920571?s=2048x2048.jpg

ard-petty-pits-his-car-during-the-daytona-500-on-february-23-1964-picture-id95920362?s=2048x2048.jpg

And this...........

DAYTONA BEACH, FL - FEBRUARY 23, 1964: Paul Goldsmith's No. 25 Ray Nichels Plymouth qualified 1st in the Daytona 500 at 174.91 mph, and finished 3rd behind Richard Petty and Jim Pardue. Goldsmith's NASCAR Cup driving career spanned from 1956-69, producing nine wins. (Photo by ISC Archives/CQ-Roll Call Group via Getty Images)

ul-goldsmiths-no-25-ray-nichels-plymouth-qualified-1st-in-the-500-picture-id98259058?s=2048x2048.jpg

Great effort by Mother. From the drawing board in July 1963 to not only finishing it's first, gruelling 500m race, but coming 1,2,3,4.
Some may not know that on the dyno leading up to the race, engines were blowing up due to core shift in the bores. New blocks were hurriedly re-cast & the winning block was cast on Feb 10.
Compare the Hemi to the POS Ferd 351C raced in this country & had to be extensively resigned to finish a race, let alone win. The most popular Ferd racer here commented, 'They blow up on the starter...'

Easy boy. Had the 351C been only five years prior in R&D, it couldda been a Hemi killer. Couldda, but wasn't.

^^In the same was that modern "pro stock" drag racing makes no sense, you have to go "back in time" to discover the reasons for the name

-
Back