Annoying ticking sound while driving.

-
I thought about that too as I'm about to pull my speedo for a similar tick accompanied with needle bounce. but the OP said the symptom is not happening on jack stands. So the engine must be under a load.
I did disconnect the speedo cable from the trans and noise did not go away. My first thought was the speedo cable actually because I had that issue in my Duster but that was more of a chirping than a ticking.

Could be pre ignition or detonation, what’s the timing at or fuel your using?
I was concerned about that when I did some research so I did check the timing and it was set to 15 degrees and I backed it off to about 7 initial which didn't change the sound (engine performance seemed about the same). Maybe I need to go back a see what the total advance is?

I also didn't see any signs of preignition. No black specs on the plugs and I changed the oil and it looked good no metal shavings or anything.

I was concerned about that when I did some research so I did check the timing and it was set to 15 degrees and I backed it off to about 7 initial which didn't change the sound (engine performance seemed about the same). Maybe I need to go back a see what the total advance is?

I also didn't see any signs of preignition. No black specs on the plugs and I changed the oil and it looked good no metal shavings or anything.
Oh and I use premium, usually the 91 at the station by my house.

I'm still thinking, altho, there have been many great possibilities mentioned.
I know I have heard that sound, but my brain is just not remembering where. I'll give it time, cuz sometimes my brain is working on solutions to problems I never knew I had.
Haha, no problem. I very much appreciated all the responses I have been getting here. I definitely have some new things to look into. Unfortunately some stuff came up this weekend so I didn't get a chance to look into anything yet but the weather looks good this week so I should have plenty of time soon.

I vaguely remember having a split in my transmission mount that allowed the tranny to move about under load. I think it caused noise on my ball and trunion (1964 manual trans).
In another instance of a similar noise I had after a night at the drag strip, when I reinstalled the exhaust pipes to the header collectors I didn’t rotate the assembly on one side far enough away from the driveshaft. It made a noise of a higher pitch than what is on the audio.

If you have headers, check the collector gaskets.
Thanks, I will get it up on jack stands in the next couple of days to check the mounts and for any interference I can find and report back. It seems like mostly everyone is thinking it is an interference issue under load which I am hoping it is. I was worried it was an internal engine issue (rod knock, piston slap etc) but from what i can tell those noises would be more consistent? I just wish I could figure out how to reproduce it sitting in my garage.

I assume you checked for an exhaust leak. Probably the most likely problem
Actually one of the first things I did was new Remflex gaskets on the headers and collectors which eliminated a leak I had on the passenger side header. I highly recommend those gaskets BTW

-
Back