Annoying transmission pan leak 727 TF

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
Hello all,
Im sure im not the only one with this problem,but I cant seem to fix the transmission leak on my 72 Duster,360 w/ 727 TF.
It seems to come from around the oil pan of the tranny.This is the second time I have put a new gasket on it,and it still leaks.:banghead:
I didnt over tighten the bolts,but the gasket is from Autozone,so maybe theres a better gasket available?Would cork be better?I cant see anywhere else it could be leaking from.Its mostly wet around the pan and the bottom of the pan.I know RTV sealant wont work because the fluid eats it up.Any help would be great

Go to your local Chrysler dealer and buy an original equipment gasket. I just did that on my 904. It was about 20 bucks.

Got a cast aluminum transmission pan? If not, I would get one. If your pan doesn't have a nice flat rail, it will probably never seal right. The differing expansion/contraction rate of steel and aluminum doesn't help you out either.

goldduster318 has a good point. If you stay with the same pan, when you have it off make sure the holes are flat. Check with a straight edge, you can lightly tap them with a hammer to flatten them back into shape.

Im a r transmission rebuilder and your problem might be coming from the shifter seal it tends to seem to be the pan gasket but real is the shifter seal. Ernie Flores

Im a r transmission rebuilder and your problem might be coming from the shifter seal it tends to seem to be the pan gasket but real is the shifter seal. Ernie Flores

X2. I've seen leaks from the shift shaft seal, throttle pressure linkage seal, front cooler line, front band adjuster, and dipstick tube run down onto the pan making it look like it's the pan leaking. If it is indeed the pan leaking do what Badsport said and get a gasket at the Dodge dealer. They cost more but their a ton better than either a cork or neoprene gasket. I haven't one leak yet that I installed but I sure had a bunch leak with cork or neoprene gaskets.

I was under the impression that the RTV silicone was ok for trannys as the new gasket I put on my cirrus said to use the gasket or just put a bead of rtv around the rim,let it flash and install the pan.Since it was a rubber gasket I used it and figured if it leaked I would do the silicone trick.
The shift seal is a NIGHTMARE to replace while in the car.I used a metal srew to puncture the seal and some pliers to pry it out but getting the new one in is even harder,can't get a hammer in there to hit it good.I used a deep well socket to slide over the shaft to keep the seal straight.

X2. I've seen leaks from the shift shaft seal, throttle pressure linkage seal, front cooler line, front band adjuster, and dipstick tube run down onto the pan making it look like it's the pan leaking. If it is indeed the pan leaking do what Badsport said and get a gasket at the Dodge dealer. They cost more but their a ton better than either a cork or neoprene gasket. I haven't one leak yet that I installed but I sure had a bunch leak with cork or neoprene gaskets.

Have a 904 and had the same problem. Turned out to be the o ring on the dip stick tube.

Go to the Dodge dealer and buy a newer one, like what the Rams use. They are rubber and steel, you can re-use them forever! Plus, they seal nice and you don't use any sealer. They cost a little more but it beats having your trans leaking.

Check your neutal safety switch. That s what was leaking on mine.

Go to the Dodge dealer and buy a newer one, like what the Rams use. They are rubber and steel, you can re-use them forever! Plus, they seal nice and you don't use any sealer. They cost a little more but it beats having your trans leaking.

exactly, walk in and order a gasket for a 1998 dakota/ram with v8 a 46re transmission if you have a 727 transmission. it will work fine

Might be dumb question here, but can we go to the Dodge dealership for a new style 904 gasket?? its for dads 67 cuda.

Thanks
4spdragtop

Not sure what you mean by "new style" Steve. I just bought a new gasket at the dealer for the 904, it's an OE gasket. Right around 20 bucks.

Not sure what you mean by "new style" Steve. I just bought a new gasket at the dealer for the 904, it's an OE gasket. Right around 20 bucks.

Hey Bruce, I guess what I meant is "rubber and steel". Did you have to give them a year for the gasket application?

Hey Bruce, I guess what I meant is "rubber and steel". Did you have to give them a year for the gasket application?

I did and they found it. The part# on my slip is 2464324AC. Now I'm not sure if that number will be the same at another dealer or not. The gasket I got is way better than the cork or the rubber one I have in there now. I gots to get my lazy butt under there and change it, LOL.

Here is a pic of the one I picked up: http://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/48repangasketbonded.aspx

I did and they found it. The part# on my slip is 2464324AC. Now I'm not sure if that number will be the same at another dealer or not. The gasket I got is way better than the cork or the rubber one I have in there now. I gots to get my lazy butt under there and change it, LOL.

Here is a pic of the one I picked up: http://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/48repangasketbonded.aspx

Thanks Bruce, I will check the link out! I know about the lazy arse thing.....LOL

thanks everyone for all the suggestions and help.
Ok
Ive crawled under the car many times already with a flashlight,and I cannot for the life of me see anywhere else it is leaking but from the pan.But I did state awhile back my dipstick tube and dip stick are from a 904,it could be leaking from there,but its definately leaking from the pan as well.I cant tell,but it might be dripping just a teeny teeny bit from the speedometer area.I dont see any leaking from the neutral safety switch ,or anywhere else.
I try to see if my funds allow me to purchase the OEM gasket.But will I need a new pan?How do I check the pan for straightness?It didnt look bent at all when I had if off.
I cannot find a proper 727 tube and dipstick for the life of me either.

thanks everyone for all the suggestions and help.
Ok
Ive crawled under the car many times already with a flashlight,and I cannot for the life of me see anywhere else it is leaking but from the pan.But I did state awhile back my dipstick tube and dip stick are from a 904,it could be leaking from there,but its definately leaking from the pan as well.I cant tell,but it might be dripping just a teeny teeny bit from the speedometer area.I dont see any leaking from the neutral safety switch ,or anywhere else.
I try to see if my funds allow me to purchase the OEM gasket.But will I need a new pan?How do I check the pan for straightness?It didnt look bent at all when I had if off.
I cannot find a proper 727 tube and dipstick for the life of me either.

Do you have a good flat steel work bench or piece of flat steel big enough that the pan will set on and not overlap? If so lay the pan on it with the gasket surface down and see if it's straight. Sometimes the bolts get tightened too much warping the pan. If so you can use a small hammer to tap it back straight. The speedometer pinion seems to be a issue on a lot of Torqueflites. I use a Chevy turbo 400 seal in the speedometer cable adapter as it is spring loaded and seals much better. Try posting a want ad for a 727 dip stick and tube in the parts wanted section. Surely think someone here has an extra. If no one here has one Mancini's sells them.

hey everyone,
I found this on ebay Mopar 2464324AC
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220918606061?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Ill pull the trigger and try this out.Ill inspect my pan and put it on a flat surface ,make sure its not warped before getting a new pan.
thanks,Dan,and everyone!ill report back.Oh,ill put a wanted thread for the dipstick and get a seal for the speedometer.tired of putting a quart of fluid in it every week.

go to any napa and get the better trans kit, comes with a rubber gasket, and use a ball peen hammer to peen the bolt holes back, obviously only if the pan is stamped steel, and tighten the bolts the german way, guten-tite. snug is all you need, ive never had one leak yet. FYI permatex does actually make an RTV specifically for ATF, ironically it was designed for newer mopar products for transfer case halves, i hate using RTV on transmissions though, the valve body in my TF999 was loaded with that crap. Evidently whoever serviced the trans long before i got it didnt know the risks.....cheers!

I agree with the posters above, make sure your pan rails are straight first.

Also, check the TWO seals on the speedometer adapter. I bought them off of this guy on Ebay. He specializes in Torqueflight parts, here is his gasket.

Ebay pan gasket link

Any flat surface will work. I've checked them on formica counter top before. Where to hit the pan to bring it back flat is trial and error.
Ilike to take a final step. I use a ball pein to bend the bolt holes outward or away from the trans mounting surface so tightening the bolts applies pressure at the surfaces between the bolts instead of at the bolts.

-
Back