Annoying vendors (carlise)

-

danmc77

Reaction score
I was at the Carlise show yesterday - as usual, I had a blast. Tons of awesome cars, and tons of parts. A couple things that annoy me:

-People were actually asking $50 a piece for rusty old inner splash fenders for A bodies - should be no more than $30 a pair, IMO. Left the show w/o any because the prices were ridiculous.

-Year One and Paddock bring these fancy trailers, tables, canopy, etc, and didn;t bring ANY parts with them. All they had were catalogs - I have those at home and on the internet for crying out loud. Part of the advantage of getting things at the show is that you can see them in person, and you can avoid paying for shipping. Just another example of how the consumer gets screwed by these companies that think they're too important to care about the little guy.

-I couldn't find one friggin' can of Mopar turquoise engine paint anywhere!

Other than that, I bought an awesome black billet breather with the Mopar logo on it from Mancini - looks awesome on my fabricated aluminum valve covers (didn't want chrome). got some other odds and ends and was happy with my purchases. I still love this show - my feet hurt and my thighs were chaffed by the end of the day, though.:-D

i noticed the same thing PRICES!!! wow and nobody would move at all i tried all day saturday to buy a front valance for my dart the guy would not move $5 bucks

yeah that bugged me too. I would go to shows and the prices are higher then places on line! I was looking at some side mirrors and they wanted $150! so i just got some $12 ones from an auto parts store....

Some times you can get a place to bring your part out with them when they go to the show, that is nice.

the prices I am used to - It just pisses me off that these big companies have dedcided to leave all thier stuff back at the warehouse. i can look through a friggin catalog at home!! Seriously - they didn't even bother to bring a couple of parts just for display. i think it's funny that paddock had tables and chairs set up like a serious meeting was going to take place about the crap in thier catalogs.

was the factory mopar trailer there? they usually have paint and grommets and such.

You see any floor pans around the place that weren't the chinese stuff? If so what were people asking. Just curious.

So they were trying to sell the steel counterparts to this items, with rust for $50 per side?
74DusterBars031.jpg

I was also very disappointed in Carlsile. I hadn't been in a few years because of the prices, but I had Saturday off so I thought I'd go. A few items I knew the prices of before hand were more than the prices in catalogs. I also couldn't believe the prices on some of the cars in the parts section. Some of them looked like they had been drug out of the woods after sitting 20 years and wanted 7-10 grand for them. One car in particular, and I can't believe I don't remember exactly what it was, but I do remember it was a factory V code car with no engine and they wanted 35K for it. This thing was such a rust bucket, even the tops of the quarters had holes in them through to the trunk. The interior was in like condition. I wonder how much of these cars/parts really sell at Carlisle?

Yes, I was disgusted to with the prices. I went to get a r/s qrter.panel and trunk ext.for my dart on friday and ask if they could work me a deal on those and some additional pieces for my dart. The guy said,well we only brought 2 r/s qrters.and 2 exts.and it's only friday so no discounts on any parts. I said why would you come to a national event with only 2 r/s panels. he says well that's what was on the truck. I said I guess you don't want to sell me anything today if you don't want to take a little off. I would have spent close to 600.00 for sheet metal,and he would have made a sale guaranteed,but instead he sold nothing to me. I couldn't believe the prices. I only live about 30 mins. from Carlisle and every year go on thurs. through sunday, but this year after thurs. and friday I had enough. Always look forward to it every year as it's basically in my back yard, but this may be my last year.

the prices I am used to - It just pisses me off that these big companies have dedcided to leave all thier stuff back at the warehouse. i can look through a friggin catalog at home!! Seriously - they didn't even bother to bring a couple of parts just for display. i think it's funny that paddock had tables and chairs set up like a serious meeting was going to take place about the crap in thier catalogs.

That's why i deal with Jack's,Hardens and Herbs for new parts! They bring tons of parts along and are usually cheaper than Year one or Paddock!

I think all shows are crazy now days. We have a huge car show here every fourth of July weekend. I didn't even go this year. I live 3 blocks from it. They are just getting to crazy. They charge $50 for each car to be shown plus $8 per ticket plus everything else and then they treat poeple like crap. I won't ever put a car in the cache valley cruise in. Not sure I'll ever even go again.

I think all shows are crazy now days. We have a huge car show here every fourth of July weekend. I didn't even go this year. I live 3 blocks from it. They are just getting to crazy. They charge $50 for each car to be shown plus $8 per ticket plus everything else and then they treat poeple like crap. I won't ever put a car in the cache valley cruise in. Not sure I'll ever even go again.

I agree, it's about greed now,not so much about the hobby or enthusiest. I've seen the same fenders as well as other parts at the same vendor spots for the last 3 years or so. I believe alot of used parts guys do this for a living and hope to sell some fool their asking price and not willing to wheel and deal. I went to another local show several month's ago and sold everything below what I was asking for it which the inital price was very reasonable. The stuff was just setting around and I didn't want to load it back up and bring it home and un load it. You would think that the way the economy is they would take a small loss and make a sale vs.not making one. I know at Carlisle I spoke with some used parts vendors and they all stated sales were down. Years past on fridays car traffic would be heavy in and out of the fairgrounds and it wasn't this year. My wife and I went down to Carlisle this morning not for the show and traffic less. She works in Carlisle and usually traffic during car shows is bad,but not this year.

You see any floor pans around the place that weren't the chinese stuff? If so what were people asking. Just curious.

So they were trying to sell the steel counterparts to this items, with rust for $50 per side?
74DusterBars031.jpg
Yes to the splash shield question. I wasn;t looking for floor panels, so I honestly don;t know what was there in regard to that - just saw TONS of AMD stuff.

Rob - I guess I can use the plastic ones too - who the hell would notice the difference? are those for sale?

Yes it was somewhat less attended this year. Seemed like a lot of people also left when the threat of bad storms popped up mid afternoon Saturday. (never happened) A lot of vendors seemed to pack it in then too.

You see a lot of the same stuff each year. Bring it in, put it out, and pack it back up. I don't know how someone could keep doing that. Just like antique shows.

Did get to haggle on prices and get better deals though. No complaint there. No offense to anybody who might sell but my biggest pet peeve is just finding a pile of parts on the ground or stuff jammed in a box. I am not always knowledgeable enough to just look at a pile of parts and automatically know what they are for. If I see someone selling like that I usually just pass by. (please label what you can)

No official Chrysler presence at show. Bad move in my opinion but there is always next year!

GREED. Our local Paddok closed down, YEA! Those guys were stuck up jerks. And most of those used vendors probably are not even car guys. Most likley junk yard scroungers who try to take advantage of the average Joe. I say let them pack thier crap back up and haul it away. Unlike the kind folks here who try to help there fellow enthusiasts they give the hobby a bad taste. Oh yeah Year One is just as bad. They price thier stuff like it's made of solid gold.:angry7:
I am glad I found FABO.:cheers:

if YO and paddock sold parts then they would be required to collect PA tax on all there annual sales shipped into pa.

I was at the Carlise show yesterday - as usual, I had a blast. Tons of awesome cars, and tons of parts. A couple things that annoy me:

-People were actually asking $50 a piece for rusty old inner splash fenders for A bodies - should be no more than $30 a pair, IMO. Left the show w/o any because the prices were ridiculous.

-Year One and Paddock bring these fancy trailers, tables, canopy, etc, and didn;t bring ANY parts with them. All they had were catalogs - I have those at home and on the internet for crying out loud. Part of the advantage of getting things at the show is that you can see them in person, and you can avoid paying for shipping. Just another example of how the consumer gets screwed by these companies that think they're too important to care about the little guy.

-I couldn't find one friggin' can of Mopar turquoise engine paint anywhere!

Other than that, I bought an awesome black billet breather with the Mopar logo on it from Mancini - looks awesome on my fabricated aluminum valve covers (didn't want chrome). got some other odds and ends and was happy with my purchases. I still love this show - my feet hurt and my thighs were chaffed by the end of the day, though.:-D

if you need engine paint,dont buy that mopar rattle can junk,,buy it from hirsh comes in quart cans,,can be sprayed or brushed with out thinning and the color is correct,,tought as nails also,,,i brushed mine,a friend brushed his another guy sprayed it,,holds up great,,

I am a vendor at a small swap meet.the fee's for the spaces are very reasonable.it is a lot of work to setup and takedown.was interested in going to the bigger meet's but then got the prices for a spot...was double almost triple....and I thought why give away that much to try and sell parts?all the work to find part's cars then take them apart label parts check pricing box them up then carry them to some place and pay to "try and sell them" of course I don't put the "out in space prices" on stuff.some people that want part's do get ridiculous also.but anyway that's why I don't go to the bigger show's they gouge everyone at the gate.

I am a vendor at a small swap meet.the fee's for the spaces are very reasonable.it is a lot of work to setup and takedown.was interested in going to the bigger meet's but then got the prices for a spot...was double almost triple....and I thought why give away that much to try and sell parts?all the work to find part's cars then take them apart label parts check pricing box them up then carry them to some place and pay to "try and sell them" of course I don't put the "out in space prices" on stuff.some people that want part's do get ridiculous also.but anyway that's why I don't go to the bigger show's they gouge everyone at the gate.

Well said waggin, :cheers:you are one of the stand up members I mentioned here at FABO. The gougers now who they are and some of the blame can go to the promoters who charge the high admission fees.

Guys.... one thing I have noticed after attending many of these kind of events... is that we ***** about the prices. In reality... we are spoiled. Spoiled for being on FABO where most everyone puts up fair prices to help another fellow member out. Truth is when I sell stuff on here. I take a huge hit on what I can sell it for at a swap or event. So enjoy the FABO family and great prices. :) I have no problem selling on here to you all for a little less knowing that the Fabo member is getting what they need for a little less. Usually as well at events I stab a price on something and it will sell for that price or some one will offer me a little less. Got to have room to bargain guys. Well at least on the recycled parts.. new stuff from a vendor source is more trickey.

-RPM

I agree I have sold parts at the smaller shows.It is usally $15.00-$20.00 for a spot then the bigger shows $60.00-$75.00 for a spot.The economy is not the best right now But I don't think most of the venders know that..LOL
Still alot of crazy prices on parts out there.I don't get Year One and now The Paddock is only bringing catalogs too. Jim

In defense of guys like Year-None, I have to say that because of the economy sucking so bad they just don't buy stuff from their suppliers because their overhead is sitting stagnant on shelves so when it comes to Mopar stuff they just don't get it until you order it so they are not sitting on all that overhead.

Maybe thngs will "change" one our government quits bankrupting us, but I doubt it.

I think alot of us were cought off guard with the way the financial system tanked. I know I was. But like 68383GTS said the vendors are not being realistic about the economic situation. But it's not just car parts, it's everything we purchase. Have anyone been grocery shopping lately? Prices are rising but incomes are declining. It still is all GREED driven from the top and trickles down to whoever will buy into it. It come's down to how much PROFIT does one need to survive? There's a saying in retail management/sales....."Go to hell margins". It works for small $5.00 items but when you are talking about let say a console that was junkyard pulled for ?$35.00 and repriced at $500.00, Come on. What happened to an honest days WORK for an honest days pay?

Scott has a great point as with everyone else,the bottom line is the guy's saving and pulling parts spend a lot of time doing this to either make a living or to support their hobby.Me...I have no choice in the matter.there ain't a job within my reach or skill's to be had.I've kept an eye out for a job but I'm done tanking up the car and wasting gas looking.thankfully a few lil' job's come to me and selling a few parts here and there really is the only thing keeping me afloat.we are all lucky to have f.a.b.o. and the people like scott and smallblock,dusterdood,oldschoolcuda and many others that still take the time to pull the part's for others,some are motivated by profit to support their hobbie or family but I think most also do it to kepp the hobby alive for the rest of us.when all the recycled part's are gone we will be stuck paying the big guy's prices and a lot of us are going to bow out and drive some yup mobile and that plain stink's! so remember the effort,time and fuel it cost's to go looking for a part only to come up empty handed.

-
Back