Another 360 Build

-

65fish

65fish
Reaction score
So now that i have my trans issue figured out I can start building a new motor for the 65. I am starting with a 360 out of a 71 Fury that has been in my family since new. has 80K miles on it. I would love to hear some suggestoins for the build. I was going to build a 408 but this car will probably never see the track. So Im thinking something along the line of 360 .30 DP intake somehwere around .480-.500 lift? Budget is pretty tight but my b-day is comming so maybe the wife can get me an intake, carb, pistons, something to help on the build.

And has anyone used Spitfire header on a 360 in a 65 barrcuda?

Stroker and budget don't mix at all. LOL

You could make some nice power on what is there allready if the short block is in good shape. Milled heads for more compresion or a swap to Edelbrock heads. A cam like a comp cams 280/.480 with a 750 cfm carb should make right about 400 HP.

On the cheap deals can be had in the 4sale section if your handy enuff to fix up a old carb or clean an intake yourself.

Thats kinda what Im thinking. just a nice solid build something aroud 400-450hp. The motor should be in great shape. This was our family car and probably has never seen more then 4,000 rpms. My dad is a MONUT (Mopar Nut) just like me and we are very very religious on maintinence. Im going to start doing some parts research tonight. I know that i want to use KB pistons. Thats what we had made or the 273 thats in the car now and they have been great. Other then that its open season

I need to pull the valve covers and see what heads I have on the 360. My dad said they should be J if they are Im staying with those if not i might have to buy 1 head at a time. at $700 a pop I can hide 1 but not 2.

They should be 915 Js, if your looking for a budget build, a set of KB107s & 030" over, have the Js freshened, the 268 or 274 comp cam would be a good choice, (i personally would use the 274) the heads will run great stock, get a 25-3000 stall, RPM intake, 750dp, 3.91/4.10 gears & some sticky tires. A build like this won't break the bank, & it'll run very good.

You can build a very stout 360 with what you have,lots of intakes for sale here.I ran the Spitfires(made extensions on them to clear past the torsion bars)fit was good.Good Luck getting them though.They come up for sale here once in awhile.

Well Ive got $1500.00 saved up right now. Here is the list of things I already have so i no need to buy again. This is all on the 65 now. (not carb way to big for the 273)

Spitfire headers (need to be ceramic coated)
Electronic ignition (orange box need chrome)
Carter performance Carb (850)
JW performace 2500-3000 stall
8 3/4 rear 3.55 posi 489 case
2.5" dual exhaust flowmaster 40.

So I should be able to get a decent start on the 360. And I put an additional $30-$40 a week into stash.

The more I think about this it will be going to MOKAN in the sping so I can see what it will run. So now I have a deadline.

Keep the suggestions comming. Please

Rather than Edelbrock heads, pocket port the J's or what ever you have on top with a good valve job, 5 angle. That'll be half the cost of Edelbrock heads with decent flow numbers that'll still make very good power.

Let the machinest know the cams lift for possible valve guide clearance machining.

A tight budget is rough. $1500 to me means not enough to rebuild it. I sent you a PM with an idea for you anyway. But I think you'll need more cash regardless. If you can find a good running stock 360, I'd buy that and simply add a cam like the XE268 and your parts. Until you have the scratch for the big buil.

So why is it that no one seems to use the Purple cams anymore? I was thinking about this one. I have some extra sets of adjustable rockers from the 273 commando build and I actually dont mind adjusting a couple times a year.

Mechanical Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 284/284, Lift .528/.528, Chrysler,SmallBlock, Kit

or

Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 292/292, Lift .508/.508 in., Chrysler, 273-360

There's better ones out there now. That's all. The .528 solid isnt a large cam. It would be a good match for your build if you wanted to use it. The 292 hydraulic is a much larger cam and unless you have some seriuos compression don't bother. A more modern hydraulic grind will get similar power over a much larger rpm window and better driveability. I've replaced a lot of 292s. The Comp Cams Magnum 292 is a bit calmer but makes very good power. But you'll still need more compression than that stock 360 came with.

A tight budget is rough. $1500 to me means not enough to rebuild it. I sent you a PM with an idea for you anyway. But I think you'll need more cash regardless. If you can find a good running stock 360, I'd buy that and simply add a cam like the XE268 and your parts. Until you have the scratch for the big buil.

Yes! The 360 doesnt need a 4" stroke to produce 400-450 h.p It can do this easily with 9.5:1 compression ,headers and a cam.I'd use an air gap or eddie rpm.

As for the mp cam,they were intended to run with high compression and the design hasnt been updated in 20 years or so give or take a decade,lol..

Lunati and comp have modern grinds for todays fuel.

Well just to keep the budget police at bay. I am starting with $1500 in hand and I am sure that it will go well beyond that. But There are 3 things to keep in mind. 1. my 65 barracuda has a very healthy 273 commando in it now.(we rebuilt it 10 years ago and it has about 10K on it) Runs like a raped cat. 2. I can buy 1 part at a time. 3. Its like 8 degrees outside right now so the only thing that will be done is sitting anyway.

If I was in a hurry I would just freshen up the 360 drop it in and try to be happy.

My first car was a 66 Satellite with a 69 440-HP out of a Road Runner. My dad bought the 66 new and got the 440 out of a wrecked 69 dealership RR in 69.

I just want to make sure the barracuda can smoke my dads 66.

Well just to keep the budget police at bay. I am starting with $1500 in hand and I am sure that it will go well beyond that. But There are 3 things to keep in mind. 1. my 65 barracuda has a very healthy 273 commando in it now.(we rebuilt it 10 years ago and it has about 10K on it) Runs like a raped cat. 2. I can buy 1 part at a time. 3. Its like 8 degrees outside right now so the only thing that will be done is sitting anyway.

If I was in a hurry I would just freshen up the 360 drop it in and try to be happy.

My first car was a 66 Satellite with a 69 440-HP out of a Road Runner. My dad bought the 66 new and got the 440 out of a wrecked 69 dealership RR in 69.

I just want to make sure the barracuda can smoke my dads 66.

Even though your 273 is hopped up, a 360 is close to a 100 more cubes once bored, plus alot more stroke, even a mild low compression 360 will smoke that 273, so if your happy with the 273s power, you'll be mighty impressed with the 360, if you are starting off with 1500.00, you already have the 360, start building the short block, the biggest issue with the 360 is its lack of compression, this kills it, you have more then enough to build a solid short block, bore it .030", new KB pistons/rings/bearings, have the block work down, new cam/lifters/timing set/oil pump & complete gasket set, this way your 3/4s of the way there, all you'll have left is an intake & getting the heads done.

Exactlly what I was thinking get the bottom end all buttoned up. Spend all my money tell the wife that Im about done spending. Let it sit a few weeks maybe buy her a pair of shoes then start on the top end. Go through the heads will all new hardware wait a couple more weeks order an intake. Buy a couple of 30 packs invite a couple wrench turning buddies over pull an all nighter stabing the thing in and fire it up. That should put me at about mid March just in time for burnouts!

So how how does everyone think this looks cam might be a little to much? I will be having the heads redone with all new hardware also. What valves would be best? Ive heard 2.08 will fit but not sure

COMP Cams K20-226-4 - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits

View Image and Compare
Cam/Lifters/Valvetrain, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Adv. Duration 294/306, Lift .519/.524, Chrysler, 273-360, Kit
Part Number: CCA-K20-226-4

Transaction
  • $459.95
  • $459.95
  • Remove

sys_02_mini_info_red.gif
Out of Stock Warnings

This part is temporarily out of stock, but you can order it now. Tentative ship date: 1/22/2010

Edelbrock 7576 - Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifolds

View Image and Compare
Intake Manifold, Performer RPM Air Gap, Dual Plane, Aluminum, Natural, Square Bore, Chrysler, 318, 340, 360
Part Number: EDL-7576

Transaction
  • $259.95
  • $259.95
  • Remove

Keith Black/KB Pistons KB107-030 - Keith Black Hypereutectic Pistons

View Image and Compare
Pistons, Hypereutectic, Flat, 4.030 in. Bore, 5/64 in., 5/64 in., 3/16 in. Ring, Mopar, Small Block, Set of 8
Part Number: UEM-KB107-030

IMO the first things to do are take measure of what you already have, look at the budget, and set a time when you would like to be driving this beast.

The first item of business is to break down the 360 you have. Does it need re-bored cylinders, what kind of shape is the crank in, are there any cracks, and what's going to be needed to get a good set of stock cylinder heads.

Looking at a hypothetical budget of $1500.oo and a good 360 to work from, you can get a re-build kit, a 650 cfm Holley, an Eddie Air-Gap, and a cam kit (Summit label, made by Crane) new from Summit for right at $1200. That leaves you with about $300 for the valve job and maybe a little extra. After emptying the piggy bank for this, keep saving because there's still no exhaust on the car. Depending on your work schedule, the engine and the $s for the exhaust will come together at the same time.

Will this produce 400 hp? Probably not. BUT, it will be stouter than a stock 360 HP, you'll have the satisfaction of having done a bunch of the work on it, and you won't be in debt up to your eyeballs for doing it.

Exactlly what I was thinking get the bottom end all buttoned up. Spend all my money tell the wife that Im about done spending. Let it sit a few weeks maybe buy her a pair of shoes then start on the top end. Go through the heads will all new hardware wait a couple more weeks order an intake. Buy a couple of 30 packs invite a couple wrench turning buddies over pull an all nighter stabing the thing in and fire it up. That should put me at about mid March just in time for burnouts!

This is a good plan, keep the wife happily in the dark

Each time you buy something significant for the engine, buy something nice for her too - it's hard for them to argue that strategy

Yes! The 360 doesnt need a 4" stroke to produce 400-450 h.p It can do this easily with 9.5:1 compression ,headers and a cam.I'd use an air gap or eddie rpm.

As for the mp cam,they were intended to run with high compression and the design hasnt been updated in 20 years or so give or take a decade,lol..

Lunati and comp have modern grinds for todays fuel.

:) Oh GREAT ONE, please... revealeth thou formula for this desired power.
I haveth a 360 , 0.60 over with a Voodoo 60403 degreed up along with
SpeedPro H116CP hypereutetic pistons, 0 deck, 9.62 compression. I am now installing a fresh set of "308" heads with 1.88 intake valves, 340 cast iron intake # 3512100 with a TQ #6322. Please tell me, your highness, if I have made anything close to 400hp? May the great gods of horsepower cast upon you the holy grail of the Mopar universe !

So how how does everyone think this looks cam might be a little to much? I will be having the heads redone with all new hardware also. What valves would be best? Ive heard 2.08 will fit but not sure

COMP Cams K20-226-4 - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits

View Image and Compare
Cam/Lifters/Valvetrain, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Adv. Duration 294/306, Lift .519/.524, Chrysler, 273-360, Kit
Part Number: CCA-K20-226-4

Transaction
  • $459.95
  • $459.95
  • Remove

sys_02_mini_info_red.gif
Out of Stock Warnings

This part is temporarily out of stock, but you can order it now. Tentative ship date: 1/22/2010

Edelbrock 7576 - Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifolds

View Image and Compare
Intake Manifold, Performer RPM Air Gap, Dual Plane, Aluminum, Natural, Square Bore, Chrysler, 318, 340, 360
Part Number: EDL-7576

Transaction
  • $259.95
  • $259.95
  • Remove

Keith Black/KB Pistons KB107-030 - Keith Black Hypereutectic Pistons

View Image and Compare
Pistons, Hypereutectic, Flat, 4.030 in. Bore, 5/64 in., 5/64 in., 3/16 in. Ring, Mopar, Small Block, Set of 8
Part Number: UEM-KB107-030

That cam is "overkill" for what your wanting, i say go with the KB107s, they will give you around 9.7-9.8 with the J heads & a .039" gasket, this will run great on pump premium, plus you'll be able to install a decent cam, the XE274H will make for a nice combo, don't go crazy on the heads, a good VJ with a back-cut should be all you'll need & keep cost down, i wouldn't do any port work unless you do it yourself, installing larger valves without doing porting is just a waiste IMO, you'll get better results from a bowl blend/30* back-cut on the stock valves then just increasing the valve size & nothing else, try not too pump big $$ in the Js, 400.00 or so would be my limit, because theres better heads out there once you start getting above 5-600.00, & they flow great OOTB, case in point, the Indy RHSs, they flow 240+ stock, are closed chambered/new, & are 875.00 ready to bolt-on.

:) Oh GREAT ONE, please... revealeth thou formula for this desired power.
I haveth a 360 , 0.60 over with a Voodoo 60403 degreed up along with
SpeedPro H116CP hypereutetic pistons, 0 deck, 9.62 compression. I am now installing a fresh set of "308" heads with 1.88 intake valves, 340 cast iron intake # 3512100 with a TQ #6322. Please tell me, your highness, if I have made anything close to 400hp? May the great gods of horsepower cast upon you the holy grail of the Mopar universe !

The pistons are at zero deck height? Then use a .039 gasket and post the heads, dump the iron intake for a RPM or a LD-340 and hog out the carb pad for a T-Q or Single plane M-1 for the T-Q. (I wonder about the Action plus being up to par for this. I think it would be, but do not know for sure.)
IMO, your close to 400 HP.

This has been working quite well for me! :-$

Well, for me, the wife and I like to turn a wrench togther.

-
Back