Another 67 Fastback barracuda

-

floivanus

Reaction score
first off, a little back ground, and some initial shots of the outside of the car are located here http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=115106

I got bored of looking at the outside of the car and welding in patch panels, so I finally bit the bullet and started on the dash, my main peeve with this thing is the Amp gauge, I can't stand them, I know many think they give a better indicator of the state of charge on a car, personally I just like seeing where my voltage is at!

1009102358.jpg

here is the instrument cluster ripped out of the dash, she's in bad shape (any tips on paint?) This car was equiped with the optional performance indicator vacuum gauge, I don't know if that will stay there or be replaced with a tach yet.

1010100035a.jpg

Next I took the backing off the plastic bezel and inserted the volt meter I picked up cheap ($4 from harbor freight, yes it's chinese but they hold up well) the factory holes for the studs from the amp meter fit the new volt gauge well

1010100038.jpg

Hmm, this may work out well

Obviously, things aren't going to be that easy, so out came a scrap of 20 gauge sheet metal, and a little bit of pounding later...

1010100103.jpg

I had a shape that resembled the rest of the gauges, with a little step though, so out came the body filler

1010100109.jpg

And I should have enough there to smooth things away nice and good

I'm thinking of repainting the face to use more "correct" font, if anyone has any good pics of the factory gauges I'd like to use them

once again tho, any tips on bezel paint would be welcome!

floivanus;1 I'm thinking of repainting the face to use more "correct" font said:
Did you consider adapting the original amp gauge screen to it ?
[/COLOR]
once again tho, any tips on bezel paint would be welcome!

There are threads here about paint on instrument bezels. Some like it. Alsa Killer Chrome is popular It didn't satisfy me. Nothing shines like the correct vacuum plating. I have some NOS chrome plated pot metal pieces that don't look as good as my restored instrument bezel.

Did a similar thing on my 66, trimmed & screwed the back plate on the factory gauge to the voltmeter I stuck in there, perfect fit.
Yeah, I did paint that silver screw black.......
11052_1270448205579_1361076797_786126_3755159_n.jpg

yeah, I've been meaning to get back to the dashwork, but paint don't like sticking when it's miserably cold outside and, that's exactl what it's been lately, miserably cold

Bought a house four years ago, knew car was going to sit, so instead of leaving as exposed bondo and filler material I hit it with a quick coat of paint probably around june/july 2011. And got postponed again in 2012 when my 2nd son was born and stayed a week in the Hospital after being born with a bad heart.

After four years of sitting outside it looks quite interesting, threw a battery in and a few gallons of gas and that old 273 came to life again, left rear tire split on me and the brakes are out, so it got reparked until I can buy some tires.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 92
-
Back