-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
we / have a 70 dart 2 door

Car has a903 3 on tree like my duster has

Idea is to get rid of it and put a 70 a904 In it . Which we have

Seems all im reading that will work.

1st question - do they share the same cross member

2nd question - is drive shaft the same spline & length ?

3rd will a flex plate bolt fine to the crank ? I saw here that the crank is different on auto cars and manual cars but not sure if that causes any issues going from manual to auto .

Yes this guy wants to go down road of automatic not going to 4 speed 883 or 230 . He wants to just drive it and I can't blame him .

we / have a 70 dart 2 door

Car has a903 3 on tree like my duster has

Idea is to get rid of it and put a 70 a904 In it . Which we have

Seems all im reading that will work.

1st question - do they share the same cross member

2nd question - is drive shaft the same spline & length ?

3rd will a flex plate bolt fine to the crank ? I saw here that the crank is different on auto cars and manual cars but not sure if that causes any issues going from manual to auto .

Yes this guy wants to go down road of automatic not going to 4 speed 883 or 230 . He wants to just drive it and I can't blame him .
1.) Same crossmember regardless of transmission.
2.) Same spline, can't vouch for length.
3.) Flex plate will be fine. Just get proper flex plate crank bolts, the manual trans. flywheel bolts will be too long.
Misc.:
You'll probably need a different radiator, as a manual trans. radiator has no provision for the cooler lines. But then again, it could have been swapped out over the years and who knows which one it may have now. Just be aware.
Speedo cable should screw right on, although you may need to swap the drive gear to get proper readout.
You'll have to add the NSS harness and starter relay from an automatic, as it is different from the manual trans. harness and relay.
Steering column will need to be swapped (and the ignition rekeyed) to get the correct linkage setup, unless you're going to throw an aftermarket floor shifter in it.
You'll need all the proper kickdown linkage parts, including the carb stud and throttle bracket.
You can leave the clutch pedal lying on the floor, or swap the pedal set out for the auto setup- can recoup some of your investment selling the pedals and linkage.

Last edited:
1.) Same crossmember regardless of transmission.
2.) Same spline, can't vouch for length.
3.) Flex plate will be fine. Just get proper flex plate crank bolts, the manual trans. flywheel bolts will be too long.
Misc.:
You'll probably need a different radiator, as a manual trans. radiator has no provision for the cooler lines. But then again, it could have been swapped out over the years and who knows which one it may have now. Just be aware.
Speedo cable should screw right on, although you may need to swap the drive gear to get proper readout.
You'll have to add the NSS harness and starter relay from an automatic, as it is different from the manual trans. harness and relay.
Steering column will need to be swapped (and the ignition rekeyed) to get the correct linkage setup, unless you're going to throw an aftermarket floor shifter in it.
You'll need all the proper kickdown linkage parts, including the carb stud and throttle bracket.
You can leave the clutch pedal lying on the floor, or swap the pedal set out for the auto setup- can recoup some of your investment selling the pedals and linkage.
AmaZing news . Yes his new radiator cAme with trans cooler connections . We have ensued and found some kick down linage and yes looking at floor shifter options . I'm confused why starter and relay need to changed ? We planned to leave Column there and just take linkage off it . Key and all should still work the starter the same yes ? Only part I'm not following is harness and relay part . Can't you explain that part deeper for me ?

The manual transmission relay only has 3 connections; a stud, screw and a spade.
uGJQ474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&w=128&h=128&qlt=100&dpr=1.jpg

The automatic relay has those and a second spade connection (4 connections total) for the NSS.
Pq2g474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&w=128&h=128&qlt=100&dpr=1.jpg

The manual relay does not need a fourth connection because the "safety" aspect is handled by a clutch switch (if at all, depending on year).
You need to add the NSS harness because all the manual trans had was a reverse light switch which takes a different wire count and different style plug than the automatic's Neutral Safety Switch.

Manual trans. reverse light switch:
IzNQ474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&w=140&h=140&qlt=100&dpr=1.jpg

Automatic NSS and plug:
RddA474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&w=128&h=128&qlt=100&dpr=1.jpg

1JMw474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&w=128&h=128&qlt=100&dpr=1.jpg

The car's main wiring harness should have provisions (plugs) for either the manual or the automatic (sub) harnesses, but having the FSM wiring diagrams on hand is always a good idea.

What does it do ? I'm confused not allow power to starter unless in park / neutral ?

70 Dart should have a clutch safety switch on it and a 4 terminal starter relay.

can just say fuxk jump that clutch safety out and make sure I'm in park when starting the car yeah . That's way safer

What does it do ? I'm confused not allow power to starter unless in park / neutral ?
Correct. Otherwise it can start in any gear. Not a good thing.
Plus, because of the different plug and switch you won't have reverse lights.

-
Back