Another brake question

-

NiceFishEh

Reaction score
Did the 75 Dart disc conversion on the 69er. Everthing is 75 Dart up front. MC to pads, Volare hoses, B body drums out back.

Have one of those 4 wheel prop valves from SSBC.

First time I took it out, SSB instructions say to start with 'increase rear pressure'. Rears locked up. Backed out the dial 2 full turns each time until it was all the way out. Rears still locked up. So much, that they got red hot and scorched the linings. Let it cool and blew everything out.

Tried again today starting with dial in full decrease position. The rears did not chatter or lock up like previously, however, the brakes pulsate more than I think they should. I think they pulsated the first time too, but not sure.

I can feel it in the pedal, not the steering. Feels like a hydraulic issue but not sure.

Rears are not adjusted tight. Fronts grab good. Drums were not red hot this time, but I did not increase rear pressure at the prop either.

I broke in the pads like Redfastback said.

Wondering if a pad/ shoe seating period is required.

It pulsates with light and heavy brake pressure.

Whats going gone?

DSCN1090 (Small).JPG

If the drums got red hot they may have warped a little giving you a pulsation in the pedal.

Did the 75 Dart disc conversion on the 69er. Everthing is 75 Dart up front. MC to pads, Volare hoses, B body drums out back.

Have one of those 4 wheel prop valves from SSBC.

First time I took it out, SSB instructions say to start with 'increase rear pressure'. Rears locked up. Backed out the dial 2 full turns each time until it was all the way out. Rears still locked up. So much, that they got red hot and scorched the linings. Let it cool and blew everything out.

Tried again today starting with dial in full decrease position. The rears did not chatter or lock up like previously, however, the brakes pulsate more than I think they should. I think they pulsated the first time too, but not sure.

I can feel it in the pedal, not the steering. Feels like a hydraulic issue but not sure.

Rears are not adjusted tight. Fronts grab good. Drums were not red hot this time, but I did not increase rear pressure at the prop either.

I broke in the pads like Redfastback said.

Wondering if a pad/ shoe seating period is required.

It pulsates with light and heavy brake pressure.

Whats going gone?

Again..overlooked the obvious! Or not so obvious.

My front rotors were new.This one was the fifth one!

The first two, one wouldn't accept the seal because of how it was machined, the other wouldn't fit the fit the rim! The studs didn't line up! The next two, one of them had weights pressed into the vented part of the rotor, which spread the rotor apart. Replaced that one again. Now everything is fine. Thats what created the pulse.

My prop valve is fine. SSBC said to start with it crank in. I think that why my rear brakes locked up. They just got hotter and hotter as I drove it. Drums seem OK.

I started increasing pressure from the fully decreased position, and now everything is good. This is opposite to the instructions!

DSCN1101 (Small).JPG

DSCN1102 (Small).JPG

-
Back