Another cam question

-

dgibby

Reaction score
So, I have playing with the camquest on Comp Cams website and need some clarification. Seems like on all the different cams, no matter what, the XE268 always out performs any other cam based on the dyno specs that it gives. I know that it is not exact but playing with it and adjusting the heads, valve size, carb, headers etc. etc.. the 268 always seems to out perform. If there is a difference it doesn't seem to be enough to justify having the head work done to accommodate the double valve spring set up. My specs are 340 9.5-1, rpm performer dual plane, stock 913 heads 1.88/1.60, 625 cfm edelbrock, headers, 727 with FTI 3200 stall, 323 gears and 25.3 inch tall tires. Current cam is unkown but I believe mopar purple 484.

Here is one on the xe274 and the xe268 to compare.

Attachments

• 268.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 282
  • 274).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 294
I can tell you from experience, the xe268 is a good street cam. Dont go racing for pinks, though. Just a little hotter than stock to go with your aftermarket intake, rockers, carb, etc. I think its become a bit of a legend because its about right for alot of people. I wouldnt be surprised if it was Comps most popular street cam. Kinda like a "Porridge" cam. I have a video of a holeshot on youtube with my old cam under "68 dart holeshot". Maybe I should post an updated holeshot with the new 268.

Both peak at 5000 RPM? Interesting. Wrong, but interesting.

In a 340 with a stock style head, those cams will peak at 5400+

I got / had the 484-286 Crowler in a 30 over 12-1,340 with 4spd.speed pro pistons & rings.in 4rth at 6grand it was done.grat torque pulled like a freight train 1st tru 3rd.

Ummmmm........ok.

Well, I was hoping somebody could shed some light on it. If, it is even correct. I was leaning toward the XE274 but after running the #'s I don't see the value in pulling the heads, spending $$ for the machine work to get little less hp and less torque. This seemed to be the norm with the 6 different cams that I ran on there dyno program, the XE268 out performed them all. Even when I changed the head, valve size, carb etc. etc. on the specs and there was not much gain if any with the different cams and few made quite a bit less power. On some, the peak hp and torque rpm ranges changed but not enough to really matter. Maybe they have it rigged to push people to the 268 or its just not a reliable tool to use??

I'm using the XE268 in my 360. I can't tell you how it performs because I haven't stated it up yet, but I've heard good things about it.

Just dont go too small on the converter. Comps website says "biggest cam with a stock converter"-yeah, if your stock converter is 2800! Has a nice rumble at idle, mine is installed at 108.

Well, I was hoping somebody could shed some light on it. If, it is even correct. I was leaning toward the XE274 but after running the #'s I don't see the value in pulling the heads, spending $$ for the machine work to get little less hp and less torque. This seemed to be the norm with the 6 different cams that I ran on there dyno program, the XE268 out performed them all. Even when I changed the head, valve size, carb etc. etc. on the specs and there was not much gain if any with the different cams and few made quite a bit less power. On some, the peak hp and torque rpm ranges changed but not enough to really matter. Maybe they have it rigged to push people to the 268 or its just not a reliable tool to use??

I saw no question in the original post. I don't hold any stock in Cam Quest anyway.

Change your air flow and max RPM. Your using the same combo for both cams. Change to a single plane, 750 carb, larger valves, ported heads and larger headers and the numbers will change on the larger cam. It's basically saying you don't have the air flow to support the larger cam. And yes, take what you see with a grain and salt and reference those who have experience with your particular combo.

-
Back