Another car fire around three miles from my house.

-
We have had a few EV cars catch fire here. I think they are waiting for someone to die before they do anything.......
Most are not equipped to deal with a lithium fire. It's is safer to let them burn. Not ok to run on most tracks either.

This topic is about another fire nearby. All these cares coming from the same shop/"mech"?

Halon not legal here, had one in my race car at a show and the fire department removed it.
Bought an abc for the car.

This is a company that Jason Digsby started after his driver was burned badly in his fastest leaf spring 1969 Dart. His driver survived and is now racing NHRA ProMod. Here’s Jason’s company.

Mag's Fab Worx

IMG_3806.png

I bought a small clean agent halatron extinguisher for less than $200 that I keep inside the car for electrical fires, and a large ABC in the trunk. Squirt an ABC up under your dash and you are looking at big bucks to rebuild...

I just looked and there are lots of Halatron ones for $200 - $350. Search around the interweb because prices for the same unit vary wildly! Seems like cheap insurance to me!

They used to disqualify you at the Mopar Nats in the showfield if there wasn't a visible extinguisher in the car. Now I find myself telling the folks around me at a show where the ABC unit is in case a car starts on fire at the show...

Back in the late '80s I had a 69 Camaro Z28 clone that had a lot of Bondo in it and the body was kind of wavy but had a decent paint job I come up to the stoplight and it had an L88 Corvette hood scoop molded onto the hood I could see Flames coming out from under the hood then A guy ran across the street from the Chrysler dealership with a fire extinguisher and put out the fire out quick as I could pop my hood..Ole Rochester quadrajet was covered in white ****....right when I heard backfire thru carb I saw Flames and obviously so did he....great mopar guy to rescue....but that there is my dream car burning there....Holy ****...hope he has better than just liability

Mom had a '28 Essex (maybe that was where I caught the bug) parked in a barn full of hay that started to smoke from a bad battery connection. Fortunately caught very early. After that she always disconnected the ground when not in use.

I drove around in a '68 Fairlane, a car I rather enjoyed, it looked like a Field Beater, but opening up that 302 would settle the score. Once the accelerator stuck open when making a U-turn on a busy street. I had to bend over and pry it off the floor.

With the new baby on the way I felt compelled to abandon it (the car) for something more sensible. A week later the dude that bought it called to say it had caught fire and burned up in his driveway. C'est la dee."

(Images are not mine. This back before the Age of Digital).

OIP.jpg

5795979502_ed868013bc_z.jpg

EV crashes and fire? Semi load of Lithium Ion Batts crashed out in the Ca Desert early Friday morn. Had to let the 20sum ton payload burn out by itself. I 15 from LA to Vegas was closed until Sunday morning.

The problem with halon is, out in the open if there's a decent breeze or stronger, You have to be right on top of the fire or jam the nozzle into the flames to hit the source close enough to suffocate it. Whole car systems are relatively contained & there to keep the driver from being killed/seriously burned 'til they can exit/help arrives, a bad spot to be in no matter what.
I personally knew a man that got burned over 75% of his body & Stat-Medivac chopper'd to the ER, they had to put him in a synthetic body stocking to maintain the body temp, & protect from infection. It was months of pain & scares, requiring blood transfusions, it just plain sucks.
I also know of 4 classic cars destroyed by accidental fires, & 2 that sustained significant damage, I feel really bad for this Mopar Owner.....that's a lot of fire & nobody around yet....:(

The problem with halon is, out in the open if there's a decent breeze or stronger, You have to be right on top of the fire or jam the nozzle into the flames to hit the source close enough to suffocate it. Whole car systems are relatively contained & there to keep the driver from being killed/seriously burned 'til they can exit/help arrives, a bad spot to be in no matter what.
I personally knew a man that got burned over 75% of his body & Stat-Medivac chopper'd to the ER, they had to put him in a synthetic body stocking to maintain the body temp, & protect from infection. It was months of pain & scares, requiring blood transfusions, it just plain sucks.
I also know of 4 classic cars destroyed by accidental fires, & 2 that sustained significant damage, I feel really bad for this Mopar Owner.....that's a lot of fire & nobody around yet....:(

You would have to understand my area. We are a rural area with 100% volunteer fire departments. Our fire departments are not manned 24 hours a day and most have full time jobs and family life.

You would have to understand my area. We are a rural area with 100% volunteer fire departments. Our fire departments are not manned 24 hours a day and most have full time jobs and family life.
I do, & I've been to Your place, & My situation is not much different than Your's.....I'm just lamenting the situation, & why it's so important to have one's own extinguisher.
I had a real aftermarket ammeter in My Killer6, one night driving in the rain one of the heavy-gauge wires popped out of the harness clasp above the column, with the wipers going fast & non-stop that linkage cut right into it quickly. Suddenly the car went dead/lights out, & the gauge started smoking, I had no wrench to unhook the battery....but did have a sharp flat-blade screwdriver. I jumped out, threw the hood up, & literally chopped the ground cable thru' w/a stabbing motion......

In other news, man in china gets on an elevator with his e bike battery, battery explodes burning guy to a crisp.
I saw that video. The fire extinguisher mandated to be in US elevators wouldn't have helped him one bit.

-
Back