Another cheap steering column lower bearing

-

Rbob

Reaction score
So,

Mine is a 67 4sp car and the lower bicycle type bearing was shot. I could not find a replacment so I installed a bronze bushing into the plastic bearing retainer. I had to cut the bushing and it actually presses in fairly easily but firmly. I measured from the lower column tube up to the inner metal sleeve which was 5/8" and cut the bearing that length. I installed Viton O-rings above and below the bushing to hold the grease in. On mine there is a collar that is adjustable a spring and a nice washer that presses against the O-ring and the upper O-ring is sandwiched between the small metal tube in the column and the bushing itself.

Pics:
DSC02635.jpg

DSC02629.jpg

The bushing cost me $17.50 shipped to my door, it is a Randall oil lite # RF3244-32

So,

Mine is a 67 4sp car and the lower bicycle type bearing was shot. I could not find a replacment so I installed a bronze bushing into the plastic bearing retainer. I had to cut the bushing and it actually presses in fairly easily but firmly. I measured from the lower column tube up to the inner metal sleeve which was 5/8" and cut the bearing that length. I installed Viton O-rings above and below the bushing to hold the grease in. On mine there is a collar that is adjustable a spring and a nice washer that presses against the O-ring and the upper O-ring is sandwiched between the small metal tube in the column and the bushing itself.

Pics:
DSC02635.jpg

DSC02629.jpg

The bushing cost me $17.50 shipped to my door, it is a Randall oil lite # RF3244-32

Where did you order the bushing and oil lite bearing from??

-
Back