Another dashboard repair thread

-

Lance Lot Link

Chronologically Challenged
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I decided to start another thread about repairing a dash. There's some good advice already on here, this week too. I will use two different glues. Some Loctite Super Glue only to hold two pieces together quickly then the JB Weld that a lot of FABO people recommended to fill and surround the crack. I should mention that the dash will be dipped first, then repaired, then rechromed. Can't dip it after gluing and I'm doing repairs only. I bought another damaged dash to patch where someone chopped up the dash for aftermarket radio. I hope I don't end up with $800 in this dash, instead of getting a repo.

20231007_141813.jpg

Yikes!
That has seen better days and then some.
Good luck!
Syleng1

A nice FABO person sold me a dash for a very reasonable price to chop the radio part out of for repairs, but when I got it in the mail I thought it was too good to chop up. So then I wasn't sure what to do and my friend showed me Redondo faceplate (for B body) that I might be able to graft in. I would strip the faceplate first, for re-chroming. Also, the new $22 faceplate doesn't quite line up, the thumbwheel openings need enlarging, but not much, maybe 1/4" total. Maybe B bodies used bigger radio? I still don't know what I should do, Lol.

20231029_121135.jpg

I hope to find out tomorrow. That's why the guy there @ Orna-metal told me not to repair it yet. It would dissolve the glue. They will paint the lower too, partly because I don't what paint, the overlay I bought for the bottom half is glossy, and also he said I might pull a little chrome off with the tape if I do it. So I will pay them to do it. It's somewhere around $420 to chrome it.

Just my opinion, no offense meant, but I wouldnt invest $420 into rechroming that bezel. You should be able to find a real nice used one for $150-200. Then u can either rechrome it, or do a DIY what looks respectable.
Theres a thread on here from a ways back that had good info. I'll look for it.

I could try chrome spray paint, polish the lenses myself and maybe SEM black paint for the lower and overlay for upper. The radio knobs are plastic also, I have them off already for chroming too.

Again not trying to be a d**k, just trying to save u $$ and frustration.
For a repop bezel, PG Classic sometimes have sales on that stuff, also BE and A sells them too.
You can also try Mr Heaterbox, they refurbish/sell a LOT of Mopar dash stuff and are about 3 hours away from me up here.
Just saw your reply I'll check it out Thanks!

Last edited:
Years ago I repaired a rally using an non rally radio bezel. I used JB weld. The chrome was the issue so I replaced it with a repo. I am going to use Alclad chrome and put it in another car.

DSCN1205.JPG

DSCN1207.JPG

DSCN1208.JPG

DSCN1209.JPG

Thanks for the tip about Alclad. It's got some good reviews on Amazon and they also say it can be airbrushed on.

Dip it in what?
I was told NaOH. SO, WARNING! This might be too hazardous to safely use. They must have proper PPE, ventilation, training; in order to use Caustic Soda continuously as part of a process. Very dangerous when mixing and interacts with many materials including metals. Just my opinion, I won't try it. Isn't it "Drain Cleaner"? AKA Draino?

I was told NaOH. SO, WARNING! This might be too hazardous to safely use. They must have proper PPE, ventilation, training; in order to use Caustic Soda continuously as part of a process. Very dangerous when mixing and interacts with many materials including metals. Just my opinion, I won't try it. Isn't it "Drain Cleaner"? AKA Draino?
Nasty stuff for sure.

Yes, that helps, especially the painting tips. Using the Glossy Black before the Alclad II. Lots of detail in your post too. O.M.M. suggested the Alclad and I'm inclined to take his advice (and yours) for one of the Rallye Dashes I'm trying to repair. I expect that one dash (doing two both damaged), may not turn out the way I want it to just because of my limited skills. Like you, the car(s) I will restore have followed my running vehicles from move to move. No exterior pics yet of car until right before/after blasting. When the car is finished I have a 500+ Hp motor to drop in so I'm hoping it's faster then when I drove it at college in 1971. Me and friends are elderly so the "performance indicator" (none in dash) is whether my friend riding "Shotgun" has to change his Depends after we get back from first ride. I know, TMI.

Yeah, thanks for the link, checking out B/E & A site now. Cheaper than I thought. I wonder who has bought from them and how well it fits. The radio piece I bought for $22 needs to be modified because it doesn't quite fit right around the thumbwheels on the radio. Maybe I "jumped the gun" and too far along with restoring to buy new. Seriously looking at Alclad II and an airbrush from Eastwood. Thanks 4spd!

Chk/compare between PG and BE/A as their prices vary. There is a sale on at PG right now, 3 more days.

-
Back