Another Electrical Anomaly

-

Paladin06

Reaction score
OK, after having to get a complete rear axles rebuild, I drove the car home and all seemed well. When pulling onto the garage I turn the car off and blow the horn to alert the wife.

The horns really didn't blow just made a low pitch weird sound. Strangely enough the volt gage almost pegged fully to the left. Keep in mind the key is NOT in the car.

Pulled the lights on and same thing needle movement to the left but not a full swing.

Unplugged one horn and got a good horn sound with a little movement of the volt needle to the left. Switched horn connections with the same result.

Connected both horns and got a good sound but the needle still pegging almost full left.

Any and all ideas welcome.

OK, after having to get a complete rear axles rebuild, I drove the car home and all seemed well. When pulling onto the garage I turn the car off and blow the horn to alert the wife.

The horns really didn't blow just made a low pitch weird sound. Strangely enough the volt gage almost pegged fully to the left. Keep in mind the key is NOT in the car.

Pegging the AMP meter would indicate a VERY heavy load like 20+ amps. The fact that the horn made an unexpected noise would suggest that it has an issue.

Pulled the lights on and same thing needle movement to the left but not a full swing.

That sounds normal headlights draw alot of current and would cause noticeable movement in the AMP meter with the engine off.

Unplugged one horn and got a good horn sound with a little movement of the volt needle to the left. Switched horn connections with the same result.

That sounds like what I would expect

Connected both horns and got a good sound but the needle still pegging almost full left.

still pegging the AMP meter points back to a horn issue. (OR bad connection issue in the horn cir)

And the problem is....?? With no alternator supply, the gauge is showing the drain off the battery.

And the problem is....?? With no alternator supply, the gauge is showing the drain off the battery.
Agreed, BUT OP stated a small movement with head lights but almost full peg with the horns.

Grounds on your horns are dirty,they ground by the bolts that mount them.

Pegging the AMP meter would indicate a VERY heavy load like 20+ amps. The fact that the horn made an unexpected noise would suggest that it has an issue.

That sounds normal headlights draw alot of current and would cause noticeable movement in the AMP meter with the engine off.

That sounds like what I would expect

still pegging the AMP meter points back to a horn issue. (OR bad connection issue in the horn cir)

OK, horn relay looked a little funky, corrosion on terminals and wire connections, had a new one so replaced it. Corrosion on the horn terminals and wire connections. Cleaned with jewelers file and all seems well. Corrosion in dry AZ. Who would have thought?

What TXDart and d55dave said. When I taught and introduced my class to basic aircraft electricity, I stressed over and over, that 99% of electrical problems that occur (especially when "the thing was working OK a month ago.") can be traced to a poor ground. Not my personal philosophy, but from the teacher that taught me.
Norm

What TXDart and d55dave said. When I taught and introduced my class to basic aircraft electricity, I stressed over and over, that 99% of electrical problems that occur (especially when "the thing was working OK a month ago.") can be traced to a poor ground. Not my personal philosophy, but from the teacher that taught me.
Norm
Yea, between the military and BOEING I spent 44 years in aerospace as a technician and field service engineer but, sometimes these old cars....

You may have a bad horn(s). Horns are simply a buzzer. A heavy electromaget wired in series with a contact, so when it's activated, it stops it's own current flow, because the contact pulls open, then drops back, rinse, repeat..............so if the horn is all rusted up inside, it may not release the contact, and just sit there and "grunt" so to speak and draw lots of current.

my horn buzzer melted down, (prior owner), found a bad horn. wiring melted through the bulkhead like the fusible link meltdowns. Paladin, I feel for you, I have been aerospace for 35+ years, and Boeing in east valley lol, and still a simple circuit will get me frustrated on these old mopars. right now its wipers. lmao

my horn buzzer melted down, (prior owner), found a bad horn. wiring melted through the bulkhead like the fusible link meltdowns. Paladin, I feel for you, I have been aerospace for 35+ years, and Boeing in east valley lol, and still a simple circuit will get me frustrated on these old mopars. right now its wipers. lmao
Yea, I retired from Boeing Mesa in February of this year.

-
Back