another f/m/j spindle question

-

Cameron1038

Reaction score
hello,

This topic has probably been beaten to death here, but i cant seem to find a solid answer. I think there is some disagreement that I would like to sort out before I go shell out $140 tomorrow.

Some people say the f/m/j body spindles work fine. Others say only the B body spindles are taller.

Mopar Action seems to think that they are all taller and will change the steering geometry.
http://www.moparaction.com/tech/archive/disc-main.html

Are the F/M/J spindles taller? If so, is it by enough to make a significant difference?

Thanks,
Cameron

yes they are taller. an arguement can be made that it improoves geometry. wish the BBD tech board was still up. it had all the numbers to back it up.

Wow, so someone actually did testing and has numbers to back up what they say.

Not just an engineer that wrote an article back in the 80's that said something negative about FMJ's with nothing substantive to back it up. That same engineer that says he's NEVER heard of a failure using FMJ spindles on an A body due to over-angling them... that one... It's called "cover your ***" journalism because of the litigious society we live in, even back then.

The FMJ and 73+ B spindles are the same height... You need to get the 73+ B spindles, the earlier ones have a smaller bearing race surface requiring a spacer to use the later rotor.

Been a happy user of FMJ spindles on A bodies since 1982... :)

Not just an engineer that wrote an article back in the 80's that said something negative about FMJ's with nothing substantive to back it up

hmmmmm.. now who could that be? lmao

I've used them both with no problems on several cars and plan on using them on my current Valiant.

and im actually installing a set in the near future for the added negative camber gain and less unsprung weight.

ill sell the stock 73 up a-body ones when im done.

Michael

Been a happy user of FMJ spindles on A bodies since 1982...

Don't fall for the FMJ spindles on an A body bumpsteer Bullcrap.

I've been a happy user since 1988... Bumpsteer? Really?!?

Will all this work on an early A as well?

Been a happy user of FMJ spindles on A bodies since 1982...

Don't fall for the FMJ spindles on an A body bumpsteer Bullcrap.

I've been a happy user since 1988... Bumpsteer? Really?!?

Some article says that FMJ's bumpsteer on A bodies and break ball joints... And some buy that stuff hook, line and sinker

I say bullcrap.... Fairly straight forward right?

Since the 73-76 stuff goes on early A's, so will the FMJ stuff as well with the later A body upper arms.

Thanks Rob. That's what I thought.

So, after battling it out with a 5th ave, I have an M body setup. I did not however get the "knuckle arm" as my chiltons manual calls it. Did I eff up here?? Can I not use the current one? I can head back to the junkyard tomorrow if I need to. To make sure we are on the same page, I am talking about the piece that the spindle bolts to (two large bolts) and the lower ball joint attaches to.

Please let me know if I need to run back and grab these.

Thanks again!

nope. use the 73 a-body piece. its also the lower ball joint and steering arm. you did, however, get the bolts, right? i dont know which bolts to use, m-body or a-body, but i will when i bolt it together.

Michael

You might wanna go back and get them. They are supposedly a lot lighter than the A body ones.

The base parts you want to get are teh spindle, backing plates, caliper bracket, rotors and calipers off a 5th ave. If you split the lower ball joints off by taking out the bolts, you want to keep those bolts to attach your 73-76 A body LBJ you'll need. you don't need the upper or lower control arm off the 5th ave, they are useless to you.

This FMJ set up has the new ball joint 73-76 BJ, you want these bolts/nuts from the 5th ave...

brakeconversion001-1.jpg

brakeconversion002-1.jpg

You need this part, spindle, and everything outerward attached to it for your conversion.

Rob, can you do me a favor and make it crystal clear everything I would need to make this swap on an early A body? Thanks.

went back and got the knuckle arms just in case.. and if they are lighter, bonus. lol
you done the right thing, M body spindles are a hell of a lot easier to find (around here anyways...) than 73-76 A body spindles. I'm using M-Body stuff as well...
e5da8c82.jpg

Other than the BS about the B body and FMJ spindles, this article is really good for a parts list, etc.

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

For an A body, the additional or different parts you need are the prop valve, 73-76 uppers/BJ's, 73-76 Lower ball joints, 73-76 brake hoses.

I may have missed something, pretty tired right now.

Crap.... I didn't even think about grabbing the spindle to LBJ bolts for my upcoming swap!

Do you think they'd be the same as the ones from the small bolt pattern drum spindles?

Will all this work on an early A as well?
In measuring my stock 67' cuda front suspension, for conversion to Mustang II conversion, I noticed the inner pivot points of drag links are measureably outboard of lca pivots,(torsion bar centerline). Since draglinks mimic lca angles, this produces bumpsteer,(toe change when up/down occurs). This scrubs tires, slows the car down and reduces adhesion. I shall attenpt to do better. ateam.:sad1:

-
Back