Another flywheel question.

-

SassyGrass71

Reaction score
Ok, I'm confused. I have a '74 360 that Ian and I are putting in his Duster. I have the flywheel from the Duster which is a 318. I researched the subject before finding FABO and read that the 318 flywheel will cause no problem if the 318 crank was cast and not forged? Is this correct? I have searched through this forum and have read that my '71 318 flywheel will NOT work on the '74 360. So which is it? The engine is almost together and since its fighting me the whole way, I figure that not only will I have to come up with a 360 flywheel, but my new clutch kit wont bolt up to the 360 either and will have to buy another kit. :banghead:

The 318 flywheel will not work with your 360. It will bolt on but the balnce is incorrect. All the 318's are neutral balanced. 360's require counterweighting on the flywheel and harmonic balancer to be balanced. 318's do not.

Somewhere floating around the www is a diagram of how to drill a neutral flywheel for 360 balance, but the short answer is buy a proper flywheel for your 360

This???

360castbalance.jpg

Clutch should bolt up.

Car flywheels for 318/340/360 are the same dimensionally, just the extra holes differ for balance.

Found a guy who has three 360 flywheels. Trouble is, they are larger diameter than my 318 flywheel. Does that mean they are truck flywheels?

hi, normal flywheel diameter is 13.25 inches for 130 tooth wheel. std for A body small blocks. the 273 is 12.3 inches. truck flywheels are 14 ,4 inches dia.
10.5 and 10.95 clutches have same bolt pattern. which is what small blocks are. drill 318 wheel to match 360, and it will work just wonderful. I have drilled neutral balance flywheels to fit 360 motors. there was no vibration.

hi, normal flywheel diameter is 13.25 inches for 130 tooth wheel. std for A body small blocks.

Not doubting your word, but can anyone else verify this information?

I am building a internally balanced 408 and will need a flywheel. I need to know what flywheel to start looking for?

I found this flywheel on Summit's site for $68?!? What do you think of it? I know it's not SFI approved, but is it really junk compared to using a 40 year old used flywheel that isn't approved either?!?

Zoom flywheel

Thanks!

hi, ok, I looked up the dimensions in mcloeds book, 130 tooth = 13.195, 143 tooth = 14.568, which is same as a truck dia. the clutch bolt patterns are 10, 10.5 & 10.95 are the same. I been running 4 spd mopars since 1967, I make it a habit to research and know what is required in flywheel and clutch matters. you are doubting what I printed!!! I don't give out misinformation!!

I been running 4 spd mopars since 1967, I make it a habit to research and know what is required in flywheel and clutch matters. you are doubting what I printed!!! I don't give out misinformation!!

Easy there big fella!!! Just because one anonymous person on the internet says that something is true, I'm not going to go out a spend hundreds of dollars on parts based on that information. I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just trying to get someone else to confirm the information. Lighten up.

yepp lighten up...not everybody is perfect with typing out words....the diagram crackedback posted comes from the mopar performance modification manual and is correct, the large diameter flywheel you found is for a truck and will not work, the flywheel from your 318 is correct but needs the modifications outlined in crackedback's diagram, you should have a machine shop or someone qualified to do this properly, keep us posted on pricing so we know what to expect when we need one done also...

The diagram crackedback posted comes from the mopar performance modification manual and is correct, the large diameter flywheel you found is for a truck and will not work, the flywheel from your 318 is correct but needs the modifications outlined in crackedback's diagram, you should have a machine shop or someone qualified to do this properly, keep us posted on pricing so we know what to expect when we need one done also...

Thats the direction I will go, already printed out the diagram and will take it into my local machine shop this coming week and see if he is comfortable doing the job. I will make sure and follow up on whatever the cost is. Its the least I can do being a Mopar newbie and getting all this great help from one awesome site !!

I found this flywheel on Summit's site for $68?!? What do you think of it? I know it's not SFI approved, but is it really junk compared to using a 40 year old used flywheel that isn't approved either?!?

Zoom flywheel

Thanks!

Bumping this thread back up trying to find info on this flywheel from Zoom. Anyone have a thought or opinion of it?!? Thanks.

yepp lighten up...not everybody is perfect with typing out words....the diagram crackedback posted comes from the mopar performance modification manual and is correct, the large diameter flywheel you found is for a truck and will not work, the flywheel from your 318 is correct but needs the modifications outlined in crackedback's diagram, you should have a machine shop or someone qualified to do this properly, keep us posted on pricing so we know what to expect when we need one done also...

I was going to update this thread myself. lol

Just got the flywheel back friday. Our "local" machine shop is 100 miles away, so it took awhile to get it back. The machine shops labor rate is $110 an hour and it took an hour so it cost us $110. They did an excellent job. Hope this gives others an idea of cost.

:D

I'm fairly sure you can buy a new flywheel for that price. There should also be lots of junkyard 360 flywheels that can be resurfaced.

Where the drilling becomes economical is for the 5.9 Magnum. The balance is different than an LA 360 and the only available flywheels are aftermarket and $$$.

I'm fairly sure you can buy a new flywheel for that price. There should also be lots of junkyard 360 flywheels that can be resurfaced.

Where the drilling becomes economical is for the 5.9 Magnum. The balance is different than an LA 360 and the only available flywheels are aftermarket and $$$.

I guess you missed the original post. The 360 flywheel will not fit the bell housing because the 360 flywheels are larger diameter. So the best thing for my application was to have the smaller diameter 318 flywheel drilled for balance, now everything will bolt up and be balanced. Hope that makes sense.

I have a 360 flywheel for a 10.5 clutch but im in PA and shipping would kill you.

I should have mentioned in my first post that the car and truck flywheel diameters may differ. There are 360 car flywheels out there.

If you have a 130 tooth flywheel, I believe they fit in a USPS large flat rate box with some adjusting... About $15.

I guess you missed the original post. The 360 flywheel will not fit the bell housing because the 360 flywheels are larger diameter. So the best thing for my application was to have the smaller diameter 318 flywheel drilled for balance, now everything will bolt up and be balanced. Hope that makes sense.

I had been under the impression that 130 tooth balance drilled flywheels were available but apparently not. My apologies.

There is this potential option, with weight for around $135 but there seems to be some uncertainty regarding the "correct" weight. I think it could be resolved with the diagram provided above.

http://store.440source.com/1045-Billet-Steel-Flywheel-New/productinfo/113-1014/

Here's a thread about it:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=6616183&page=0

-
Back