Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
That's a nice welder! I have been looking at some Millers lately, a few grades below that one. Can I adopt your son?

That's a nice welder! I have been looking at some Millers lately, a few grades below that one. Can I adopt your son?

I better hide that comment of yours from him. If he realizes he could replace me I'll never get a plasma cutter.

Last edited:
Just tell him I am that black sheep uncle the family never talks about...

That's my niche with my nephews.

crazy_uncle-jpg.jpg

- They don't get me presents.

View attachment Crazy_Uncle.jpg

Last edited:
I can't understand how so many guys manage to make major progress during winter. It was a balmy 2' below zero here when the day started. 4 hours of running my garage heat and the temperature is finally up to 60' inside.

I DON'T LIKE COLD!!

The concrete floor still feels like I'm walking on ice.

As I'm waiting for the new windshield to arrive at it's outlet I've been trying to clean the garage and finish up any of the loose ends on the Duster.

Before we had the rash of thefts at the farm I used to store as many of the extra parts out there. Now I no longer want to risk further losses so I am lucky if I can clear enough space here to get a car inside.

I finished attaching the new belts, touched up the paint in the door jams,and am now trying to focus on the gauge and headlight wiring.

The helmet I was using with the Barracuda may not have been a work of art but it matched the car and had the nostalgia look that I was shooting for. I'm considering getting a black helmet that I can match to the Duster. If I put some gold lace over it along with the 'CROP DUSTER' logo it should look OK.

img_4231-jpg.jpg

img_4232-jpg.jpg

13918_886071901411681_2894465828668810419_n-jpg.jpg

gma-710-2022-jpg.jpg

The tracks around here are pretty forgiving about some of the safety regulations when you're running brackets. That seems to change when you get into class racing. The belts I have are superior to factory seat belts but aren't SFI approved. The helmets are the same way. - D.O.T. rated but not SFI. I'm sure that I will have to be compliant if I ever get the funnycar done.

View attachment IMG_4231.jpg

View attachment IMG_4232.jpg

View attachment 13918_886071901411681_2894465828668810419_n.jpg

View attachment GMA-710-2022.jpg

Last edited:
I here you on the weather. Those that manage to get something done either are tough sons a bitches or they have a nice dry heated garage.. My garage is all concrete and no heat.

BRRRRRRRRR.

I here you on the weather. Those that manage to get something done either are tough sons a bitches or they have a nice dry heated garage.. My garage is all concrete and no heat.

BRRRRRRRRR.

needsaresto, I don't know what the temperature is way up there in the land of moose but it has to be worse than it is down here. I've always imagined Canada to be within a stone's throw of polar bears.

One thing's for sure. If I ever build a new shop I'm going to insulate the crap out of it.

Last edited:
needsaresto, I don't know what the temperature is way up there in the land of moose but it has to be worse than it is down here. I've always imagined Canada to be within a stone's throw of polar bears.

One thing's for sure. If I ever build a new shop I'm going to insulate the crap out of it.

In floor heat is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask me how I know.:D

In floor heat is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask me how I know.:D

I've always wondered about the floor heating systems. I've been skeptical.

What I've heard is that they are cheap to run but I've wondered whether or not they will really make a place comfortable. I can understand that the floor would be warmer to work on.

Does the heat really transfer up through the shop?

How warm can you get it to be?

Are they really cheaper to run?

How long does it take them to warm a shop up?

Do they run continuously?

Do you run a second form of heating system with it?

I realize that there are sites out there that have information about these heating systems but I figure that they are likely to make things sound better than what they are. I've never talked with anyone that actually uses one.

Last edited:
Over the past month I've described my work on the Duster as my attempt to put lipstick on a pig. Some of you may think that I was exaggerating the number of flaws - or how bad they were.

None of the car's issues made it dangerous or kept it from performing. - But the lack of attention to detail drove me crazy.

It was obvious that they had chosen this '72 Duster because it was crusty and would have been expensive to have restored. It was probably a cheap starting point for building a drag car. That I can understand.

It's the sloppy workmanship that made it seem as though they took no pride in what they were doing.

The engine compartment:

Everything painted black. That didn't bother me, - lots of guys like their engines black. I prefer more detail and a brighter environment so I can better see what I'm working on. - I want to know if I'm developing an oil leak.

The inner fenders had rust that was never fixed.

The holes that were cut for the fenderwell headers were huge (much larger than they needed to be).

The ignition wires looked like spaghetti and one wire had a cracked boot that was held on with a wire tie.

The braided fuel lines were way too long.

The wiring harness was ran half-hazard with no protective looming.

The firewall was full of unplugged holes.

- No air cleaner.

The overflow tank sat at an angle because it had only one mounting bolt.

Last edited:
The interior had plenty of issues too.

The front door panels were warped and torn.

The carpet was faded and the rear section had holes in it.

It came with a pair of lowback seats from an A-100. They were torn, rock-hard, and uncomfortable.

The instrument cluster was only half functional. It was scratched and faded.

Although wipers had been deleted from the car, - it still had a wiper switch.

The heater controls were still in the car despite the fact there was no heater.

They left the hole where a radio had been.

There was no cover for the shifter.

The back half of the headliner was missing.

The door sill plates were dull and corroded.

As with the engine compartment, everything inside the car was black.

Last edited:
The trunk:

It had an undersized battery box that was missing it's lid.

The fuel cell had gaps between the sides of it and the flooring.

There were gaps between mating aluminum panels that should have been better riveted.

The tail light wires ran through the trunk without being tucked out of the way behind the inside rear tail light structure.

Once again, everything was painted black.

Last edited:
The bottom side of the car looked pretty sad.

A lot of the metal that was used when the car was back-halved was never painted so it was rusty.

There are a lot of unused brackets beneath the car that must have been used for exhaust hangers. They seem to have been made from scrap iron. They are crude. They never took the time to cut and grind them into nice looking pieces.

The driveshaft loop appears to have been made from scrap steel also. They didn't try to make it look pretty.

The rectangular tubing used to back half the car must have come from salvage too. There are signs of previous welding on them.

Last edited:
The body:

I guess it was what people would call a good 10 footer. There are rust bubbles in the bottom of the doors, fenders, and rocker panels. There are even some on the deck lid and tail light panel.

The windshield was cracked.

The doors sagged a bit because the hinge bushings were worn out.

The trunk seal was loose because improper adhesive had been used.

The silver paint on the tail light housings were faded.

Last edited:
I know that when I'm done with the Duster that it won't have transformed from a sow's ear into a silk purse, but it should finally look like something someone took some pride in building.

Things such as the parachute and wheelie bars may not have been a necessity but I felt compelled to do my best to make the car into something closer to 'my dream Duster'. My attempt at artwork on it were for the same reason.

Hey Cuda........You have ary Wheel trim Molding for 67-69 cudas? Prefer good ones. thanks, SP.

Sorry
MrCoolCuda, I don't. I only know of one guy close by that might. I'll give him a call and find out. If he does I'll p.m. you. It's a long shot at best.

Last edited:
I've always wondered about the floor heating systems. I've been skeptical.

What I've heard is that they are cheap to run but I've wondered whether or not they will really make a place comfortable. I can understand that the floor would be warmer to work on.

You can keep the thermostat about 65 and when you are working, It's t-shirt weather.

Does the heat really transfer up through the shop?

Yes

How warm can you get it to be?

warm as you want

Are they really cheaper to run?

yes

How long does it take them to warm a shop up?

we start ours in the fall and run all winter. You don't want to run one intermittently, takes a long time to warm that hunk of concrete up. Then the boiler runs continuously until the building is up to set temp. Once the slab is warmed up, the boiler only runs to keep temp set.

Do they run continuously?

not after initial startup.

Do you run a second form of heating system with it?

I have a backup lp boiler, but I haven't used it since hooking up wood boiler.

I realize that there are sites out there that have information about these heating systems but I figure that they are likely to make things sound better than what they are. I've never talked with anyone that actually uses one.
You would never go back to a forced air type ever again.:prayer:

When it's below zero, open shop door,(10x12) move cars around, close door, in a couple minutes you don't even know the door was open.

Hey Cuda........You have ary Wheel trim Molding for 67-69 cudas? Prefer good ones. thanks, SP.

I just got done calling my source for the wheelwell trim and he had already sold them. - Sorry.

Last edited:
I sure wish I had a lift. These pictures may make the car look like it's in a precarious position, but it's actually supported with multiple jacks and jack stands. The rectangular tube frame is inboard so the car seems to be floating without much support.

img_4234-jpg.jpg

img_4235-jpg.jpg

With less than two foot of clearance from the floor it's not a lot of fun laying on my back as I'm cleaning/painting the undercarriage. I've been brushing the paint on so I'm having to contend with paint dripping back down on the floor and myself. As I scoot around underneath my coveralls are absorbing some of the paint from the concrete and cardboard.

As much fun as I may have had buffing aluminum, this job has to be on par with it. I'll put it on my list of things I need to find an illegal immigrant to do for me.

View attachment IMG_4234.jpg

View attachment IMG_4235.jpg

Last edited:
Every day , I work on
I sure wish I had a lift. These pictures may make the car look like it's in a precarious position, but it's actually supported with multiple jacks and jack stands. The rectangular tube frame is inboard so the car seems to be floating without much support.

View attachment 1714781248

View attachment 1714781249

With less than two foot of clearance from the floor it's not a lot of fun laying on my back as I'm cleaning/painting the undercarriage. I've been brushing the paint on so I'm having to contend with paint dripping back down on the floor and myself. As I scoot around underneath my coveralls are absorbing some of the paint from the concrete and cardboard.

As much fun as I may have had buffing aluminum, this job has to be on par with it. I'll put it on my list of things I need to find an illegal immigrant to do for me.

The wonderful life of being a hobbyist gearhead.....

-
Back