Another Newbie

-

MoparGirl

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and also a new muscle car owner so I'm hoping to have lots of suggestions down the road on how to turn my 73 Dart Sport into a very mean machine. The husband has a 67 Cuda FB and the goal is to blow his doors off! Just a little friendly family competitive thing going on.

New myself.

You are never allowed to outrun your husband. ;o)

~Bill

welcome abord! hope you will like it here!

wish i hade a girlfriend that realy wanted to blow the doors of my 73´ with another abody well i wish i had a girlfriend at all ;)

welcome aboard mopargirl. i like your avatar! we need more info on your dart...is it a 318, 340,or something else? how about some pictures too!

Welcome aboard.Even though I'm partial to 67 cuda's,i hope you blow his doors off.

MoparGirl said:
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and also a new muscle car owner so I'm hoping to have lots of suggestions down the road on how to turn my 73 Dart Sport into a very mean machine. The husband has a 67 Cuda FB and the goal is to blow his doors off! Just a little friendly family competitive thing going on.

Welcome to the fun and don't worry, we'll give you lots of suggestions as to how to turn that puppy into an asphalt melter. :burnout: e.g. stroked 400 :thumbup:

Well I be d@mned. I thought my ex girl friend was the only Mopar fanatic. I own a 73 Dart Swinger and if you need anything just ask. I will be more than proud to help you out to beat your husband. But... we need details!!! Most importantly what you want to do with it. Then engine, transmission, and rearend. Welcome aboard and have a good time here!

Welcome aboard MoparGirl. Let's have some details of your ride and we'll see if we can come up with a game plan to help you turn it into a hubby beater. Enjoy the fun here and post some pics when you can.

nice car you got, real pretty orange.

these guys are all real helpful, so you'll enjoy it here...

Let's see if I can get this picture thing to work...

My husband is a member too but I don't know that he posts much (quiet type who reads more than speaks.)

I have a 360 in the Dart. The carb is a Carter but at this point I can't even tell you if it is manual or electric choke. The intake manifold is stock. It has dual flowmasters and looks like possibly Hooker Headers. I do not know if it has a modified camshaft or not. It has a nice "ting, ting, ting" when at idle as opposed to the hubby's "lub, lub, lub" of the Cuda. His car was complete when he bought it and all the special stuff like the Edelbrock carb & intake were already done so he has not done any engine stuff. Mine...well someone stuffed the 360 in it, slapped some crappy paint on the engine which is now peeling, put new tires on it, and flowmasters, then stuck it out on Ebay. I fell in love with the "ting, ting" and orange color so I bought it.

I do not know what transmission it has or rear end or even gears. Nor am I quite sure what would be appropriate for it to have or how it would impact performance. I don't understand about ratios and only recently has it been explained to me what "bored over" means. What I do know is that I love a well tuned, well dressed, powerful engine. It's how I get there that is a mystery.

73 Dart Demon.jpg

360 ci.jpg

That car looks familiar - I might have seen it on ebay - I look around there fairly often. When did you get it?

~Bill

In answer to many of y'all's replies...

I bought it on Ebay about two weeks ago and just picked it up this past Friday. The listing was not totally accurate, however the inaccuracies were small and so I let it go. For example, the listing claims it has an Edelbrock carb in it but it does not. Doesn't really matter because my plan is to make it MINE anyway with things that I choose. I have to say however that the yellow Demon that someone has just posted on this site for sale looks nicer and cost similar to what I paid. Oh well.

I have been browsing around Edelbrock's web site, which is great for someone like me who is new to all this because it has recommendations on what carb should go with certain intake manifolds, etc. I am thinking about a Performer 600 cfm carb and the RPM Air intake. I do not know much about the current engine though such as crucial things like the number of miles it has on it. Last night I pretty much decided to go forward with the carb & intake and then possibly pull the engine in the winter. I'm sure the crank is stock and I want to change that. It seemed like the more stuff I saw to do with the engine...the more it made sense to do it to a new engine.

I also have to crawl underneath the car and pull the tag number of the transmission and see if I can tell what kind of rear end is in it. Does anyone have recommendations on replacements?

I agree that the black engine compartment needs to go and will once we pull the engine this winter and although the orange/red engine is cool, it should be blue. I have not decided whether that bothers me enough to do anything about it.

Also, someone mentioned that if I chance the carb and intake I need to change the fuel pump as well. What kind??

Thanks for any help. I'll start posting to the correct thread since the newbie thing is over and my questions now are going to be more about how to fix/improve stuff.

The old eyes aren't what they used to be, but I love those Carter carbs on small block Mopars. Carter was actually bought out by Edelbrock, and their carbs are just basically Carter reruns. I've run these carbs for over 40 years and really haven't had a problem with one yet. They are a great street carb and once you get them set up for your engine, you don't generally have to touch them again. The Edelbrock rebuild kits and Strip Kits also fit them. See, you just saved yourself a couple of hundred dollars you can spend on some other part for your car.
Here's a link to the Carter / Edelbrock site for your carb.

http://www.carburetion.com/Carter4.htm

That '69 V8 is Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhharp! I DO like that!

Before coming to this site, I really had no idea there were so many nice clean A-bodies out there.

~Bill

BTW - what headers are you running?

-
Back