Another Noobie Question

-

xlexl

Reaction score
So just found a '76 Duster /6 4spd car which i'm thinking of picking up to do a 4spd swap into my '68 NB Barracuda with a 440 in it. I'm sure it's already been covered in a post somewhere but frankly I couldn't find it.

1st i'm wondering if this is the right tail shaft I need, I did do enough homework to realize that there are several different versions of the a833 tranny, but not sure what one would have come in this car.

I realize that I will still need everything between the bellhousing to the motor, is there anything else I won't be able to use and need to replace?

that is most likely an overdrive aluminum case a833. check to see if the 3-4 gear lever is flipped upside down. you would need a different flywheel,clutch,pressure plate and z-bar and linkage. the bell housing for a big block would need to be modified for the larger bearing retainer on the overdrive trans. the trans itself should be the right length. if you have an 8 3/4 rear the drive shaft from the duster would need to be shorter. probably more that someone else can add , i'm old and don't remember most of what i've forgotten

Thanks for the reply, im starting to head home tomarrow and hoping to take a look at the car as soon as I get there, only wants 800 bucks for the car.

The z-bar wont cross-over from the duster?

the distance between the bellhousing pivot to the frame pivot is different on the slant six and the big block

Unless your wanting gas milage I would stay away from it. I put one in my 66 Dart just for crusing. Ive driven to the nats (1600 miles) and got 17 mpg with 4.10 gears. As long as you dont hammer it like speed shifting it will work. I know ive been there. They are good for just everday driving.

-
Back