Another old tool---saved all these years from the '70's

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I'm sure some of you have seen my home made piston stop, nothing special. Just a piece of 3/8 bolt threaded into a spark plug shell. This was quickly made one day when needed, just for a SB Mopar, and I've had it since about 75

stop2-jpg.jpg

.........so that is no big deal, and sometimes, I can find it when I need it

So last night I primed up the oil system in the new 360.......roller block, EQ heads. the intake is still off. I wanted to get it primed, then put the intake on, then paint it..........

...........and I managed to actually find my old oil priming tool..........made about the same time as the piston stop, a socket welded to a Mopar intermediate shaft. I THINK this was made originally when I redid the 440 in the Roadrunner about 72

I used it when priming the 340 in about 76 when it went into the Landcruiser, and it's been banging around in toolboxes ever since

primingtool.JPG

1....Fill the filter but leave it off the engine

2....Assemble the shaft, extension, drill, and with a pan under the filter mount hit the drill for ABOUT ONE SECOND. And just like that, the pump is full and you have oil out the filter mount!!!

3....Install the filter, then pull the plug/ sender out of the oil pressure port. "Blip" the drill and in a couple more seconds, you have oil out the sender port

4...Reinstall the oil sender, and "drill away." You can see oil seeping progressively out the lifter clearances, and then up at the valves (These are pushrod oiled). OIL TO EVERY SINGLE ROCKER!!!!

5....Back into the back of the box for the next 40 years!!

Funny, I have an oil priming tool just like yours :) Don't use it as much as I did in the old racecar days but sure comes in handy. Use it about as often as you uses yours I guess.

Lots of cool old tools you see everyday in your tool box,,EXCEPT when you need it !! I think they know when you are coming for them and HIDE !!

Just remember to have the sender installed in a small block when doing a full prime. I forgot it and got oil up the nose when I hit my pump. Like a mini oil well gusher, it was funny when it happened but after 20 minutes when I could not get it out of my nose it was a *****.

That oil prime tool is awesome i may make one of them i have about 3 extra oil drive gears

-
Back