Another overheating question

-

Valiant72

Reaction score
Okay, my frustration level is higher than my temp gauge! Replaced my six with a 360 out of a Newport which I drove and ran cool. Now it goes to 220 at idle. I replaced the water pump, radiator (22 inch), thermostat and hoses and no luck. Will run at 180 deg. at 55 mph fine. The fan blade's closets point is 2 1/8 inches from the radiator, is that to far? I have a Duster and it's only 1 1/8 inches. From what I've read from past threads there should be no problem using the stock radiator. Timing set at 10 BTC and tried a different gauge. Any help appreciated.

First question. Is the fan shroud intact? Sounds like a classic air flow problem.

No fan shroud. Anyone tried the universal ones? If there's one on ebay it goes for some serious money for molded plastic. Is theory they capture more air being pulled through the radiator? Thanks for the input.

i wouldnt run a universal one if you ask me. no local junkyards to pull one off of a 22" radaitor? If anything, if you cant get a shroud move that fan much closer to the radiator, spacers and different length fan clutches are availible. Put your hand over the radiator while its idling and see if your even getting much air pulled through it by the fan. mine will keep a towel sucked over it lol

fan.jpg

I also think you need to move the fan closer. I just sold my 22" shroud for cheap, too. Bummer. I have different length spacers if you need a certain one.

Start by moving your fan closer to the rad but before you do check how much the fan deflects towards the radiator (because it's trying to pull air through it) at high RPM eg. 5000 rpm. Speed the engine up, for a second and look at the fan track. I run my fan 3/4" away from the radiator without a shroud. :evil2:

Thanks everyone. My favorite wreaking yard crushed almost all the good stuff but there's a couple more that might have one. I'll go check the air flow this afternoon.

-
Back