another paint question.

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Todays project was to paint the hood. I did the underside this morning which was easy. after it dried for 6hrs I flipped it to do the top. It came out pretty well.
I put 2 medium wet coats on it. It look like it has some striping in it. Is this gun set up related or just my spraying technique ? Does it need another coat ?

Also how may coats should I spray if I plan on wet sanding a panel ? Im afraid my 2 meduim wet coats are to thin and I'll burn threw either wet sanding or buffing it out.

IM000120.jpg

IM000119.jpg

IM000118.jpg

IM000117.jpg

Looks like Tiger striping, that's odd for a single stage paint, easy to do with a metalic base though. You should have 3 coats anyway if you want to color sand. You could shoot another coat or two within the window, or wait over night and sand it flat with 600 wet and shoot 2 more coats (they call it flow coating when done with clear) What it does is give you more depth.

Thanks again Rob. I think I need to play with the gun some more. It has a very think patern to it. I think I would have an easier time if I could fan it out a bit. Its hard to over lap passes the way its spraying.

I will let it dry, Block it down then spray a few more coats. I need to pick up more pain. That was the last of my quart.

You should have about an 8" wide fan from around 8" distance give or take, maybe even a slightly wider fan and a 50% overlap when you spray. It takes a while to get used to setting up your gun, each one is a bit different. Hang a piece of cardborad or paper on the wall and give the gun a quick squeeze from about 7- 8", open the fan right up and work backwards until you have a cigar shape pattern about 8" tall. Again this varies, I use the SATA RP guns and they have a bigger fan it seems than the other guns I've used. When you color sand and buff be really careful with your edges and creases, you can buff through in a heartbeat. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have it down in no time.

Rob, sounds like my gun needs some set up work. My spray pattern is maybe a 2or 3" fan.

You're right, it needs set up work big time. You can put some gun wash in it and play around with it to try and get your pattern right before wasting any paint on the set up. If you can't get the fan up to 7+ inches you may have a problem with the gun. Open everything up fully and back off from there, if you can't get a full fan with it all fully opened up it may be clogged or have some other issue. Good luck

-
Back