Another posi/"suregrip" question

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
Had good advice on my last question, now somthing a little deeper...deep for me anyways.

Point first...I would like to keep my 3:91

My rear has a 8.75 rear, case ID "741" with the 1 3/8 small pinion and 3:91 gears. My son has a tight "742" case with 1 3/4 large pinion with 3:23 gears. Although these pinions differ in size, can the 3:91 gear (ring) be installed in place of the 3:23? I understand "I" may have just answerd my own question, however I'm not sure if the pinion gear alone on the "pinion end" can be changed or what.....or will I have to get a 3:91 large pinion.

Any takers on this one. Thanks

You have to buy one for the 742 case as they ring and pinion are specific to each other and the case.Theyre also more expensive-I have to buy a set also.

Yah thanks, just found out though Randys can swap "complete" unit with case but not ring & pinions....drag.

Thanks again :thumbup:

Hey, Jimmy. Are you worried about that 741 cuss of the small pinion shaft or are you having some problems with it. Also, like what was said the ring and pinion are a matched set.

demon seed said:
Hey, Jimmy. Are you worried about that 741 cuss of the small pinion shaft or are you having some problems with it.

I wouldnt worry about it personally.

Jimmy boy, it sounds like you might want to throw the pumpkin from the boy's car in your rear end while you're getting yours checked out for problems. I've never tried it, nor seen it done, but you can dismantle that cone SG and have .030 to .060 machined from the case end of the cones, then uses a corresponding size shim to compensate on the opposite end of the cone when you re-assemble the unit. This gets the worn end of the cones back square to the case sides again and allows them to grip the case sides, thus giving you a Sure Grip :))) unit again.

-
Back