another question...oil pump bolts..

-

Plato2k5

Reaction score
I konw they are 3/8 x16 but how long should i get them? These are the (2) bolts that hold the pump to the rear main cap. I bought 2" long ones and they don't go all the way into the hole. I just want to make sure THere isn't an oil passage in that hole that will get pluged if i go to far in....or run it into a journal.

I bought grade 8 bolts from the hardware since the dealer said they couldn't get them.

rats..cant answer that one. The holes are blind IIRC, so you could take a drinking straw and bottom it out, them mark it and measure. Or a peice of wire. Anything really. Keep the bolt length about 1/4" shorter than the depth of the hole.

i thought it to be a blind hole but wanted to MAKE SURE.

Where i bought the bolts they only came in 1/2" lenght. So 1.5" was to short, 2.5" was to long.

I found oil pump bolts on Hughes Racing Engines website. All was good until they arrived. I opened the package and discovered I had just paid a high price for 2 junky grade 5 bolts but I did get a nice decal. When I bitched about it they told me they use these in all their customer's engines. Well anyway I tossed them in my bolt pile and bought some grade 8s at NAPA in the right length and I think I used 2" but it's been a while.
Bob

haha that sucks.

I bought 2" long grade 8 bolts. Now should i pust washer on or just but the bolts in w/out washers?? I'm sure the heads of these bolts are the same size as the ones i took off.

-
Back